Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lemon Iced Tea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Metric conversion Reply with quote

Ki-tat wrote:
I just tried this recipie...i thought that maybe there wasn't enough lemon; I was right! That's because you converted 2 fl oz into 30mL, when it's closer to 60mL (59.1470594 mL according to Google). I just thought i'd let you know...

Thanks for catching that! I apparently had it correct in the article, but when it came time to making the summary, I made the wrong conversion.

Fixed!
m

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: iced tea Reply with quote

just a thought. instead of boiling all that water at first, boil a small amount and put your tea bags in. let steep five minutes. remove bags, add sugar. dissolve sugar and then immediately add ice cubes and shock the tea. later, at your convenience, add the extra water, lemon juice, or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: cloudy Reply with quote

your iced tea looks cloudy. Make sure you do not add ice to HOT tea. It must first be allowed to cool to room temp. Then add ice if needed.
broncosis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: tea bitterness Reply with quote

just anote for the more technical

acidic water will make tea go bitter
a small amount of baking soda 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon
per quart should be plenty should make for much darker tea

I have been doing 6 cups of water 2 tetley round tea bags and 3 min steep time with a bit of backing soda in the water before the tea bags

then you add a bit of lemon again to bring the ph back down a bit or just to flavour of choice

but then again I'm from the far north EH so we may like it a bit differnt here

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Lemon Ice Tea... Reply with quote

Well I tryed out your recipe and it taste really delicious.But the problem is that do you know how to make the taste that is kinda like the Snapple Lemon Tea because the tea that I have maded from your recipe taste sweet,have the lemon taste but I'm missing the tea taste I think...

Well this is what I put in:

2 quarts of water
2 ounces of lemon juice
2 bags of lipton natural Tea (not family tea bag)
1 cup of sugar

How can I improve this?I just want the taste near the Snapple Lemon Tea.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love iced tea but i do not always have the time or patiece to brew my own...so i buy the nestea brewed unsweetened tea in the refrigerated section of the supermarket & add my own honey & lemons!!!

the lemon flavor is great for picnics & large groups because it is easy to transport & serve!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lemon Ice Tea... Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Well I tryed out your recipe and it taste really delicious.But the problem is that do you know how to make the taste that is kinda like the Snapple Lemon Tea because the tea that I have maded from your recipe taste sweet,have the lemon taste but I'm missing the tea taste I think...

Well this is what I put in:

2 quarts of water
2 ounces of lemon juice
2 bags of lipton natural Tea (not family tea bag)
1 cup of sugar

How can I improve this?I just want the taste near the Snapple Lemon Tea.....

A cup of white, granulated sugar weighs about 175 grams or 6 ounces. That's about 665 Calories of pure non-nutritive food calories. YIKES!!! Talk about candy!

The reason you are missing the tea taste is you are making two quarts of tea with the amount of tea bags one would use to brew two or three CUPS of hot tea. You need much more tea. You should use at least 5 tea bags, maybe 8 for two quarts of iced tea, especially once the ice starts to melt if you want to maintain the taste of the tea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: alternate brewing methods Reply with quote

got a coffee maker? pop a few tea bags in the filter and hit it. instant hot tea. pour a mug and add your sweetener of choice, lemon, or other flavors to your liking. i'm a proponent of apricots and toffee or caramel, like the ashton i used to smoke. =)

but what about that strange and southern iced tea, otherwise known as sweet tea? water flavor is important; if you're lucky enough to have delicious well water, use it. use less water and more tea and boil on stove in pyrex or glass. i know, i'm a little superstitious about metal flavoring things (cast iron has that effect on some). you're going for a dark tea concentrate, which you'll sweeten and dilute to taste later. view the guidelines above for how much sweetener (.75-2 cups/pitcher) and amount of tea.
gale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Lemon Tea Reply with quote

I was raised on traditional southern iced tea. However, in high school many years ago, a friend invited me to her home for lunch. This family was originally from Mexico. The ice tea served that day was a beautiful mixture of tea and lemon/lemonade... a sweet drink. I thought it was wonderful. I have tried to duplicate this tea, on a number of occasions, but never have found the correct proportions of tea to lemon. Does anyone know the secret?
mafiaprincess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: you were raised on country suntea...ha! Reply with quote

Quote:
On July 17, 2007 at 09:28 AM, gale (guest) said...
Subject: Lemon Tea

I was raised on traditional southern iced tea. However, in high school many years ago, a friend invited me to her home for lunch. This family was originally from Mexico. The ice tea served that day was a beautiful mixture of tea and lemon/lemonade... a sweet drink. I thought it was wonderful. I have tried to duplicate this tea, on a number of occasions, but never have found the correct proportions of tea to lemon. Does anyone know the secret?

Hi, Why not contact the friend? Great recipes people! Thank you for posting them, ~~Mafi
mafiaprincess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: question please? Reply with quote

I chose to start with the original recipe provided. What is a good maximum amount of time to steep the tea bags? You mention at least 1 hour. I just did this, and the pan is still more than warm yet. Is it actually ok to complete the mixture now? Or, should I wait another hour, or more, untill the tea has cooled more, or completely? Thank you, ~~Mafi
MafiaPrincess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: did it! Reply with quote

Ok, I followed the recipe, and did with the 1 hour "at least". Smells good! Can't wait to taste it tomorrow. If you have a suggestion for maximum amount of steeping. I will give that a shot too. I will let you know how this first batch has turned out. Kindest Regards, ~~Mafi
MafiaPrincess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Very Nice! Reply with quote

Hello,

My husband and I tasted our first brew of homemade, Lemon Iced Tea, today. It was very nice, and I, myself, do not like tea of any sort. I made it as a surprise for my husband. He loved it, and so did I. It has a very even blend of just the right amount of everything. Not too much tea tasting, not too sugary, not too lemony, not too watery. It is JUST RIGHT!

I have already made another batch for tomorrow. We deffinetly enjoyed it, and certainly will time and time again from here on in.

Funny, I went shopping with our daughter tonight. I happen to pass a shelf of bottled Lipton Lemon Iced Tea. All that pass through my mind was..."ha ha, mine taste better than yourrrrrs"!!!...Ha! I could not resist having a cocky moment. :-)

Thank you so very much for sharing the wonderful recipe! I have to say, "This Was A Good Thing". Kindest Regards, ~~Mafi
MafiaPrincess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Lipton Iced Lemon Green Tea... Reply with quote

I have no clue how this is going to turn out.
I did everything the same except add the lemon juice.
The tea is quite lemony already. Wish me luck! ~~Mafi
ps: doesn't anyone post here anymore???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am from the South and speaking for my family, we like our tea strong and sweet. This may not be 'traditional' tea to most but the way I make it is:

In 3 quarts of boiling water steep 3 family sized tea bags for 6-8 minutes.
Pour 1 1/2 cups sugar into gallon jug then pour tea on top of sugar and stir or shake to dissolve. Add 1 1/2 gallon of orange/pineapple juice. Add enough cold water to cap off gallon. Chill.

We had a variation of this at a restaurant in Nashville. The restaurant called it 'Fling Tea' and I've been making my own variation of it since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: