Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tortilla soup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hijakk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Tortilla soup Reply with quote

A very tasty tortilla soup can be made in the following manner:

2 giant cans of chicken broth (the 3.blah pound ones)
.25 cups red enchilada sauce
1 lb chicken breast, cubed
1/4 bag frozen corn
2 tsp salt
Avocado
Sour cream
Mozzarella
Monterey jack
Tortilla chips

Bring the enchilada sauce and broth together in a large pot, bring to slight boil, add chicken, boil on medium for 5 minutes, add corn, boil another 5-10 minutes. Add salt. Shred mozzarella and jack cheese into bowl, add slice of avocado, sans skin, spoon in soup. Add dollop of sour cream and handful of tortilla chips.

There you go, about two gallons of a very easy tortilla soup that is very, very tasty. Pretty cheap too, since it can be three or four meals, all the ingredients can be had for under $10-$15 if you shop right.

I developed this recipe after visiting La Parilla Suiza here in Tucson. They have the best tortilla soup ever. I asked if they could tell me how they made it. They said all they could tell me was that it was chicken stock with enchilada sauce. I took it from there.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: A more home-made version Reply with quote

I tend to use this recipe: Tortilla Soup at TexasCooking that I've modified a bit. It's light, refreshing, quite spicy hot, and has become my wife's favorite soup.

A couple of changes/simplifications to the recipe that I use:

* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 5 garlic cloves, mashed
* 1 large onion
* 3 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
* 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
* 8 cups chicken stock
* salt and pepper, to taste

Garnishes:

* 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
* 1 ripe Haas avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* crispy tortilla chips, cut into strips like noodles.

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot and saute the garlic for a minute or so. Remove the garlic from the oil and then puree the garlic, onion, tomatoes and tomato paste together in the blender. Add the puréed garlic, onion and tomato mixture back into the pot and bring to a boil.

Add the chili powder, cumin, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the lime juice and stir well.

Check seasonings, and add salt, pepper or additional lime juice as desired.

Serve hot, and garnish each serving with cooked chicken breast, avocado, cheddar cheese and crispy baked tortilla strips.

(Another trick I've done is to soak the tortilla strips in the above recipe in a brine of 1 tablespoon of kosher salt with 1/4 cup of lime juice for a minute before baking. The resulting lime&salt tortilla chips are fantastic by themselves or in this soup!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum