Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardening chocolate..?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimerasfire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Hardening chocolate..? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm trying to create a chocolate bar. Like the kind someone can buy in the store; Nestle, Lindt ect.

I am mixing peanut butter with semi & milk chocolate, but after being in the fridge, or the freezer the chocolate mixture begins melting a few minutes later.

How or what do I need to do to make it stay alittle firmer? I cant find Paraffin wax (?) Are there other options??

Thanks!! Big smile
C
Mister Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Chocolate not hardening Reply with quote

Way too many years ago, I was a candyman. I learned that you can lower chocolate's melting point by adding shortening (fat) to it. That's how they make "Meltaways" type candies. It appears that the peanut butter is acting like a fat, in this case. This is why peanut butter cups work better. The chocolate coating is not actually mixed with the fat in the peanut butter. Real chocolate also needs to be tempered. If improperly tempered, it will either solidify with streaks or not solidify at all. You may need to do some research to come up with a way to make your candy bar idea work. OR, you could just make peanut butter cups. Chuck Field (chuckfield2003@yahoo.com)
dragonfly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Paraffin wax.... Reply with quote

Paraffin is available in many supermarkets under the brand-name GulfWax and is sold in small blocks (several ounces, can't remember exactly). It is also available at Michael's craft stores. Use judiciously in chocolate - it really can ruin the taste and destroy that velvety texture that makes chocolate so luscious. Good luck...
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that really healthy? I don't really know the implications of eating wax, but it doesn't sound too good.
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha you have a problem there
as said the fats in the peanut butter are lowering your melt point.

It worth knowing how they make commercial peanut butter, the label tells you it contains hydronized oil ( Margarine ) the peanut oil is extracted for sale as peanut oil and canola oil is converted into the synthetic compound margarine, which is then mixed with some of the dry peanut powder. and hey presto you never get oily peanut butter. Clever eh... mainly margarine at greater profit... Ah I digress

try making a shell out of chocolate chill then fill with Mix dried peanut powder with cocoa powder then fold into caterers chocolate and temper... worth the research... Huge saving are possible as a little peanut powder can favor a huge amount of filler as in peanut butter... 25% Powder to 75% Margarine I believe the ratios are.. they can say that it contains 100% nut, because that's all they add to the margarine along with the salt and sugar. - pass peanuts through a meat grinder to make your own real stuff.

here's a handy link to start with http://www.chocolatemonthclub.com/recipes.htm

Keep the wax for your bikini line, it really isn't a food... look it up on Google.

Let us know how thing went ??

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardening chocolate..? Reply with quote

what temprature does chocolate harden
chimerasfire wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to create a chocolate bar. Like the kind someone can buy in the store; Nestle, Lindt ect.

I am mixing peanut butter with semi & milk chocolate, but after being in the fridge, or the freezer the chocolate mixture begins melting a few minutes later.

How or what do I need to do to make it stay alittle firmer? I cant find Paraffin wax (?) Are there other options??

Thanks!! Big smile
C
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Pickles

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process your wanting is called tampering.

A process where you stabilise the cocoa butter crystals.
If you just melt chocolate and then make your chocolate casings (or use a mold for solid chocolate) it tasts good but will melt in your hand like ice melting in hot water. The chocolate also lacks shine and instead of snapping almost cleaning when you try to brake it, it sort of pulls apart without any definate snap sound.

Moving on.
Tempering requires two heating cycles and a cooling cycle.

for Milk or White chocolate its like so

Melting
Place chocolate into a bowl over lightly simmering water stiring constantly while chocolate melts (DON'T set the chocolate over direct heat, it will easly burn and can easly distroy the texture and flavour)

The chocolate must be brought to a temperature high enough to completely melt all the fats, including the high-melt-point fats. (45 - 50 degres celcius)

Tempering
Once chocolate is melted, remove from heat. Then let chocolate cool untill it is thick and pasty (its almost like really heavy cream, it will coat a spoon with a really really thick layer) (26 - 28 degres celcius)

Rewarming
Set the bowl with chocolate over warm water and stir untill it reaches (29 - 30 degres celcius) make ever so sure that the chocolate does not go above the maximum temperature at any point after the tempering. You can however remelt the chocolate to a maximum of 30 again if you have a large amount of things to make.

This can be done multipul times however I personally find that about 3 personal confert limit.

when you get to the cooling cycle or tempering, you can put in shaved chocolate to help bring down the temp however only add small amounts at a time to make sure it all melts and reaches the past as previously mentioned.

I hope this has helped. Also what was recommened about making a container with chocolate for the filling is a wise pice of advise to follow. It makes it much more simple!
jicbeatz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me also wanted to see how the chocolate is harden!
Jakeyo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: How to harden chocolate Reply with quote

omnom this post really made me hungry i think im gonna try this out myself. Your "manual" is extremely good pickles thanks alot man have a good day Big smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum