Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brownies vs. cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegas John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Brownies vs. cake Reply with quote

I make a dense chocolate cake daily and people always compliment me on my "brownies".
I have searched to find the difference between the two (a chocolate cake vs. brownies) and even comparing the recipes side by side see little difference.

What makes the brownies dense and moist and the cake tall and of a fluffy texture?

what happens to a cake if you increase or decrease each of the ingredients? more flour vs less flour, more eggs vs. less eggs, more sugar vs. less sugar, more butter vs. less butter etc.

I even read somewhere that brownies were created when someone forgot to add the baking powder/soda, but all the recipes i have seen have leavening in them.
McDee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase my baking and pastry textbook (to avoid copyright infringement Wink): The line is personal based on texture.

High ratio of butter to flour - dense and fudgy
Less butter - more cakelike
More eggs - even more like a traditional cake
Higher ratio of sugar - gooier brownie.
wildblue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuck. never use levening in brownies, that makes them cakey.
best recipe is on or in the baker's unsweetened chocolate package. add about three tablespoons espresso powder for a kick.
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like brownies MUCH BETTER!! (Plain brownies,none of this crap people put on them)

My grandmother used to make AWESOMENESS BROWNIES (I think it was a mix and i dont know what kind)

THEY WERE EVEN BETTER THAN THE ONES WE MADE HERE!!
yocona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brownies vs. cake Reply with quote

vegas John wrote:
I make a dense chocolate cake daily and people always compliment me on my "brownies".
I have searched to find the difference between the two (a chocolate cake vs. brownies) and even comparing the recipes side by side see little difference.

What makes the brownies dense and moist and the cake tall and of a fluffy texture?

There are a couple of big differences in the recipes I use. The ratio of butter to flour, and the amount of leavening. (Chocolate and cocoa behave like flour when you are baking, so I counted them in the flour measurements.)

Per cup of butter:
Flour: Cake = 3 c. Brownies = scant 1 1/2 c.
B. powder: Cake = 1 T. (3 t.) Brownies = 1/2 t.

The amounts of sugar and egg are almost exactly the same.

One other difference is the technique used for the butter. Cake recipes usually call for room temperature butter, and brownie recipes call for melted butter.
paulahendricks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, when making cakes you use cake flour while in making brownies you can use the regular flour. Well you can also use regular flour with cakes but the texture will be quite different.
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon they would come out like brownies then eh?

Welcome to the site Smile
carlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! i agree that When making cakes, you must use the cake flour while in brownies, use the regular flour, otherwise the texture will be differ.
jacobmeo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude111 wrote:
I like brownies MUCH BETTER!! (Plain brownies,none of this crap people put on them)

My grandmother used to make AWESOMENESS BROWNIES (I think it was a mix and i dont know what kind)

THEY WERE EVEN BETTER THAN THE ONES WE MADE HERE!!

Well you can also use regular flour with cakes but the texture will be quite different.
bizfox123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they use the same ingredients but different amount
tomnew481

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one think I'm sure about the two (brownies and cake) both are delicious and contains carbo.
happyrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Brownies Vs Cake Reply with quote

Much to my daughters dismay I make brownies every weekend but I must say, adding dark chocolate and using regular old flour has my brownies turn out delicious almost every time ( I also lather them with frosting). Nothing better than a good brownie and a cup of tea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum