Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brown sugar Q again :)Granulated or soft?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimerasfire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: brown sugar Q again :)Granulated or soft? Reply with quote

Does anyone know, When cooking a dessert recipes, will it be affected greatly, or not so much, to subsititute packed brown sugar for the granulated brown sugar? Do I have to make measurment changes?

Thankx!!
K

Hehehe too may cookies 4 this little fella--> Skin_Colorz_PDT_07
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's granulated brown sugar?

I'm familiar with granulated sugar (regular white granulated) and I'm familiar with brown sugar (sugar with some molasses in it, sold in both light [or golden] and dark varieties). These are not necessarily interchagable in recipes because the brown sugar contains molasses (and with that some moisture). The cookies are softer and chewier than if made with granulated sugar.

The term packed is used in recipes in conjunction with brown sugars because the proper way to measure the sugar is to put it in the measuring cup and pressing down to level (as opposed to scraping with a straight edge as when measuring flour). When packed, brown sugar weighs almost the same as granulated sugar (220 grams per cup of packed brown sugar; 200 grams per cup of granulated white).

I find it easier and faster to convert the volume measures of sugars to weight and to measure with a digital scale.
chimerasfire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: granulated brn sugar Reply with quote

Thanks! Thats helpful! Here, they dont sell the soft brwn sugar that we're accustumed to, but instead it looks like normal sugar, maybe even slightly larger?, but it's a light brown sugar. Very strange! Smile

I guess one way to find out is to make two batches of somthing with the diffrent sugar and see what happens!!

thankx again!
K
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be turbinado sugar or sugar-in-the-raw. You may be better off using a mixture of granulated sugar with molasses.
chimerasfire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: brn sugr Reply with quote

Good to know! Thanx!!

K
Skin_Colorz_PDT_07
DuxIl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: No no no no no no no! Reply with quote

Granulated brown sugar is a product introduced by Domino Sugar as Brownulated Sugar. It is weird-looking, grainy light brown sugar, which rumor has it (unsubstantiated) is actually white granulated sugar that has been "spray painted" with a molasses coating. Some claim that when you rub the granules in cheesecloth, the coating comes off, but I have not found this to be true. (Yes, I actually tried it!)

The purpose behind granulating sugar is to make it more easily dissolving; if your recipe calls for packed brown sugar, substituting granulated will ruin the ratio and the recipe will fail. This is especially true in baking - beware the Brownulator! Shock

Here is what Dominos says about the product: DominoŽ BrownulatedŽ Light Brown Sugar is a granulated, free-flowing sugar with a medium molasses flavor. BrownulatedŽ Sugar is pourable and doesn't lump, cake or harden. BrownulatedŽ Sugar is made from brown sugar and cane caramel color and can be used in equivalent cup measurements as regular brown sugar, but due to moisture content will produce differences in texture as compared to recipes made with regular brown sugar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum