Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Salmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopsey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Oregonian, I'd say the best way to eat fish is to dock the boat and fire up the grill. If you must add anything to the fish, sprinkle with fresh garlic salt. Not sure how to do that? Take the skin off a clove of garlic, place it on a pile of kosher salt and smush it with the flat blade of a knife. Mince the garlic on top of the salt. The fresh garlic juices will be caught in the salt and will intensify the flavor. Spread it on the fish and grill. Voila.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord! The only reason you have "dense, chewy, and not very tasty" salmon is because you're over-cooking it! When learning to pan fry it you should use a fork to pull back some of the meat in the middle. Most of the meat should look opaque pink, but the middle should be just a little bit translucent and raw looking. It's done! Take if off now! Quick! You want to remove it from the heat BEFORE it's totally cooked. The meat will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat. ... The salmon is safe to eat undercooked (like most fresh fish), so if you take it off much too early then don't worry, it will still taste great. At any rate it is much better undercooked than overcooked. ... If you do overcook your salmon the best thing to do with it is to let it cool in the fridge overnight then make sandwiches out of it - chop it up and add mayo. It's good in a soft roll.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made this dish, and it was excellent.

However I made a few changes to it.

1) Added a little bit of lemon into the Maple Syrup / Soy mix, I thought the acidity would help it marinade better. I'm not sure if it did help, but it tasted fine.

2) After I put the fish on the BBQ, I used the Maple Syrup / Soy mix the fish had been dunked in, and boiled off some excess liquid.

When I flipped the fish over, I used some of this to glaze the sides, and when the fish was cooked, I used the remaining (fairly thick) mix to glaze the meal on plates. This made it taste like candy, maybe next time I'll cut back on the maple syrup if I intend to do the glaze again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT RECIPE. I used a lite soy sauce instead. I also marinated the fish for 5 days in an air tight seal-a-meal tpye bag. Grilled for a few minutes on both sides, till heated through. The heat caramelized the maple syrup. Fish had a baked ham taste. What a way to eat salmon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe tonight and it was great. Thanks for the clear directions.
Ernest T. Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilled Salmon Fillet?

Want to know how this Oregonian does it?

Take a skin-on salmon fillet (I get about 1.3 lbs for my 4-person family). Use tweezers or needle nose pliars to pull out the pin bones.

Place on a piece of foil slightly larger than the piece of salmon. Crimp the edges of the foil up slightly to retain some of the salmon fat as it cooks (makes the edge of the salmon taste wonderful).

Using a sharp flat edge (not serrated) knife, eyeball the serving pieces you want to end up with after cooking and slice the raw salmon into serving size pieces. Slice down to (or almost down to) the skin. Not all the way through. I do this at an angle for better presentation - also, if you slice after the fish is cooked it makes the slices look torn.

Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and brush liberally with marinade. (recipe follows)

Place the foil and salmon foil side down directly over hot coals on an outdoor grill. Brush with marinade again, and cover with vents open.

Check the salmon every couple of minutes, brushing liberally with marinade until done. Depending on the size of the fish, it's thickness, and the heat of your grill, total cooking time on the grill will range from 10 to 20 minutes.

I take a metal fork that I use to pierce the thickest part of the salmon and then touch it immediately to my lower lip. If the tine of the fork is warm (meaning the center of the salmon is warm) take it off the grill (I use a wooden pizza peel to take it off). The salmon will continue to cook slightly under residual heat until it's served.

I place the salmon and its foil on a cutting board (or a stack of old newspapers) use a spatula to lift the salmon off the foil/skin, and place it on the plates. It comes off easily after it's cooked.

This is a terrific recipe that yield delicious salmon attractive enough to serve the most discriminating diner. It's easy, and because there is no turning, you have almost zero chance of disaster.

Marinade recipe:

Take 1/3 cup butter, melted

Whisk in:

1/3 cup dry white wine
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 to 3 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press

This is best with wild salmon, because the natural fat content yields a truly delectable piece of grilled fish.
wizodd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: sweeteners Reply with quote

I tried this recipe when I ran across it last falls and mentioned it to one of my cooking buddies who said "Oh, teriaki sauce made with maple syrup."

I found that I needed more maple syrup ot the flavor got lost--but that may just be my local syrup maker.

Note that salmon is high in omega-3 but that it is also a predator, and thus concentrates heavy metals and other pollutants in the sea. Wild is better than fish farmed, probably because a major element in fish food is offal of fish processing--which concentrates things one more step.

About fish farming, it would seem to be a 'good thing' as it would seem to protect the wild fish--it doesn't! Fish food pellets are made from wild caught fish! (In the US for salmon and trout at least.)

Fish farming as done in southasia where it is integrated with rice and duck culture does not have the same problem.
no1recycler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: grilled salmon Reply with quote

The salmon was great! Followed the directions to a T. Made the best dam fish ever. You are right! Its a keeper!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: delicious! Reply with quote

this is a great recipe. I've used it several times now and got compliments all around. probably the best dish i've made. thx!
james hinnant (guest)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: salmon en foil Reply with quote

my wife puts orange slices, orange juice (?), black pepper, butter, and garlic, on top of salmon, all wrapped up in foil like a hobo, and cooks it in the oven, it comes out pretty good. not sure if she put sugar or orange juice the first time she tried it, to counteract the orange slices; sometimes the cooked oranges are a little bitter.
LOVE2SHIP

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: DELIGHTFUL GLAZED SALMON Reply with quote

I have never been sucessful cooking fish in the oven, so when I bought a new gas grill, I perused the web for good recipes. I tried this last night and it was excellent! I served it with Grilled Aspargus. Cool

Love the site! look forward to trying out more recipes. Smile

thanks!
Huh?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this recipe through a search engine and decided to try it tonight. It was wonderful! Thanks so much!
LESLIEx317537

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Saw this recipe on TV. Reply with quote

I saw this recipe on WLIW Create- the pepper. A public channel here in NY.
After doing a search for it I ended up here and it refreshed my memory on how to do this. Have the steak marinating now, but will it be ok if I use a cross cut section and pan fry it instead?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mopsey wrote:
As an Oregonian, I'd say the best way to eat fish is to dock the boat and fire up the grill. If you must add anything to the fish, sprinkle with fresh garlic salt. Not sure how to do that? Take the skin off a clove of garlic, place it on a pile of kosher salt and smush it with the flat blade of a knife. Mince the garlic on top of the salt. The fresh garlic juices will be caught in the salt and will intensify the flavor. Spread it on the fish and grill. Voila.

Absolutely, no doubt about it. When I buy fish, I want what's freshest. I ask what was just put out and that's what I buy. It almost doesn't matter to me what kind of fish it is.
Smokinn

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this recipe this weekend and it went over really well. I initially picked it because of the simplicity (it was a party after all, I didn't want to spend the whole time cooking) and because it looked interesting.

I did have to up the quantity by a fair amount for the glaze though because maybe I was spreading it on too thick but I didn't have nearly enough. I about doubled it I think.

I had several people ask me for the recipe though so like you said, this one's a keeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: