Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Crust? Reply with quote

No recipe for the crust?!!! What a copout! What did you do, use "Bisquick"?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the article for Basic Biscuits.
emily

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I tried this tonight and it came out beautifully. I added more milk to your biscuit recipe to get drop biscuits, which took less prep time and added more texture, but took longer to bake. Thanks for the excellent recipe.
ChefRonin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't traditional chicken pot pie; it's just chicken pie.

Chicken Pot Pie is a Pennsylvania Dutch creation where squares of pie dough are added to a chicken broth consisting of cut up chicken, celery, potatoes, and carrots. Sometimes, a small amout of flour is used to thicken the soup, and vinegar is added for flavor.

It's quite delicious.

That being said, I will have to try your chicken pie recipe and report back.
Miss Muffet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it easier to add the chicken, broth and veggies to a crock pot to cook all day. Then, just separate the juices into a pot and make gravy - only takes a few minutes. Place the chicken and veggies in a casserole, mix in the gravy...finally top with biscuit of choice and bake. The crock pot comes in handy if you don't already have any cooked chicken on hand. Some people add cornstarch to the broth to thicken into the gravy, thus omitting the later gravy-making.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i often think to myself... if i were stranded on an island, what food (or recipe thereof) would i most want.

the glorious "chicken pot pie" or (chicken and bisquits) is right up near the top of the list.

(assuming i could have some sort of access to peanut butter on the side.)

this recipe, is very close to what i have been cooking for years.

heed my advice:

* traditional Pennsylvania Dutch also fold the complete chicken pie recipe into one large fold of dough... very yummy and efficient.

* lumps in the gravy, in the early stages, is a good thing. just whisk them out.

* try baking/roasting your chicken, and cutting it into cubes rather than boiling and tearing it.

* add lots of black pepper to your recipe.

* keep it all on the thick side... you can always thin it down.

* pearl onions rock.

* don't forget the fresh herbs.

- Long live chicken/turkey pot pies!
stacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: chicken pot pie Reply with quote

Thank you for this easy recipe! I made this dish tonight and it came out just fine. My husband loves chicken pot pie and FLAN. I've just knocked out one, now I have to learn how to make his favorite dessert Flan. I just wanted to Thank You for this easy recipe. It is wonderful.[/b]
dee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: deeeelicious! Reply with quote

What a great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing, it was perfect for that leftover turkey too!

Happy Holidays Big smile
A Food Year

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Oh, sure... Reply with quote

totally blew it with my chicken pot pie and ended up scooping out the filling for chicken pot tarts :o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be interesting.

I haven't yet implemented my computer-in-the-kitchen plan, and printouts would be too easy. So... I forgot the broth until after the milk, and probably added too much lemon juice. The cream part may or may not work.

Veggies were a random assortment of what I had in the kitchen - zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green onion, mushroom, tomato, sweet potato, spinach, mustard greens. Much black pepper added, along with paprika, red pepper, and a toss of generic 'pizza spice'.

Not really feeling like looking up the biscuit recipe, or digging up the one I used last time I made a pot-pie like item, I whipped up a batch of corn muffin mix. Prebaked a bottom crust to avoid goopy cornmealy bottom, and the top crust is more of a dribble of biscuit batter - should end up dumplingish.

Not quite true to the original recipe, but what the heck.
shawMart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Reciepe,

Thanks for that
gpbarath6

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: recipes Reply with quote

Smile Great recipes, I just found this site by accident, my granddaughter just made the tiramisu and everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Chef Ronin's comments re: chicken pot pie Reply with quote

Your version of chicken pot pie sounds more like chicken and dumplings. Both dishes are good - it's just a matter of the thickness of the liquid!
Jsouin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Most delicious chicken pot pie! Reply with quote

This is the most delicious recipe. I added the milk before the broth and the milk was not whole is was 1% and I added a bit of fat free 1/2 and 1/2, started out with lots of lumps, wisked them away...every thing came out great. I also used meat from cooked chickens from Costco. I had enough filling to fill two pies but only 2 pie crusts so I put the pie crust on the bottom, then filling, then covered the top with store bought buscuits. They are not baked yet, they will be a treat for dinner but I hope the crust comes out as delicious as the filling!!!!! Thanks for the recipe!
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Forget "pot pie", make a Kurnik! Reply with quote

Dad's Kurnik
1 rotisserie chicken
1 pkg prepared double pie crust rounds
1 can chicken stock
2 c fresh mushrooms
2 tbs parsley, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c sour cream
1 c Texmati rice
1 sm onions, thinly sliced
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 tbs fresh dill leaves, finely cut
2 tbs butter, softened
1 egg yolk, mixed with 2 tbs sour cream

Remove meat from the chicken into 1" pieces. Set aside.

In a skillet, sauté mushrooms in butter until soft. Add chicken, parsley, lemon juice, nutmeg, sour cream and chicken stock until moist but not soupy. Stir thoroughly, taste for seasoning, and set aside.

Cook rice with remaining chicken stock (dilute with water if necessary).

In a skillet, saute onions until soft and golden. Stir the onions into the rice, and toss until they are well mixed.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs with the dill.

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Spray medium-sized springform pan with no-stick baking spray. Line pan with one pastry round allowing allow excess dough to hang over edge of pan. Avoid overworking dough. Moisten dough as necessary to avoid tearing.

Spread 1/3 of the rice mixture on the bottom of the dish and cover with 1/2 of the chicken mixture.

Top the chicken with 1/2 the egg mixture and repeat the layers, ending with the last of the rice.

Use sour cream and yolk mixture to moisten edge of pastry. Cover Kurnik with second round, bend over edge and seal, trimming excess dough. Use fork or other tool to seal and decorate edge.

With a small, sharp knife, cut out a 1" circle from the middle of the dough.

Brush the crust with the sour cream and yolk mixture. Decorate crust with excess dough.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.

Reduce the temperature to 350F and bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

Serve with sour cream and winter vegetables (Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: