Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rating knives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheflytle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: rating knives Reply with quote

Great article on rating the knives. My wife got sucker into one of those Cutco parties with the poor college student earning her way through college-result I now own 7 knives that are the worst. They hold an edge for about 10 seconds. I am constantly paid to have them sharpend.

So my question is what is the best knife sharpener. It's great to have a good knife but maintaining a shape edge is the key. I have tried all the home technique's with dismal results. I have contemplated buying the electric sharpeners but at $125 buck's I would sure like more testimonials that they really work.

Any suggestions appreciated.

C'lytle
Jörg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet that the electric sharpener isn't worth the money. Better to send them to a good knife sharpener.

As for cutco knives being terrible, I was under the impression that they were decent knives, at least once they got a new edge.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jörg wrote:
As for cutco knives being terrible, I was under the impression that they were decent knives, at least once they got a new edge.

I haven't yet sharpened my Cutco chef's knife, but I've heard others claim it is much more difficult and tedious to do than other knives. As to how long they hold their edge after sharpening - that's going to be an interesting experiment...
climcarlson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article on the knife test. Recently I have purchased a Wüsthof knife and am really enjoying its superiority over my old plastic-handle ickie El Cheapo knives. But now that i read your article, I'll certainly check out the outstanding category. Though you were right about the handles---that will be a great deciding factor for me. I just can't stand it when the handle "feels funny" in my grip.

I was under the impression that Cutco gives you new blades when your old ones run dull? Or they will sharpen for free?
http://www.cutco.com/jsp/customer/sharpening.jsp

But then of course ya gotta pay for shipping and stuff and it's a bit of a hassle..
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Forschner Forged Kives Reply with quote

I recently received a set of Forschner Forged Professional knives.Are these quality rated instruments?In a side-package was an Edge-Pro 4-Step Sharpening System.Am I good to go for awhile?Thanks.
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

The knives of which I wrote are Forschner Forged;not the Professional sreies.Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: forschner knives Reply with quote

Forschner makes some very good and inexpensive knives, both stamped and forged.
My $5 parer holds a good edge, but does not perform as well as my $40 Henkels. However, for $19 I got a 5 inch Forschner boning knife that came with a great edge and holds its sharpness. No need to spend a lot on Wusthof or Henkels for a boning knife.

For sharpening, with a little practice and patience, a guide rod system, such as Lansky or Gatco works quite well.
cncmike

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Try IVO Reply with quote

Hey,

In Canada, I use IVO knives made by a friend of mine available at Sears. They are loosely modelled on the Wustorf line, cost 1/3 as much as and are 90% as good. Those knives and MAC draw sharpener once week and I am set for the next 10 years.

I am a personal chef and use my knives 10X as much as home cooks and I can't say enough good things about the IVO knives. My east/west was 40.00 and I 've had it for 3 years and it is rock solid, razor sharp and ready to go every time...www.ivocutlery.com.

That being said, I also have an IKEA knife given to me and it cost 20.00, and it works great, as long as I don't edging it every use, but if I lose it, no great loss...

MB

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climcarlson wrote:
Great article on the knife test. Recently I have purchased a Wüsthof knife and am really enjoying its superiority over my old plastic-handle ickie El Cheapo knives. But now that i read your article, I'll certainly check out the outstanding category. Though you were right about the handles---that will be a great deciding factor for me. I just can't stand it when the handle "feels funny" in my grip.

I was under the impression that Cutco gives you new blades when your old ones run dull? Or they will sharpen for free?
http://www.cutco.com/jsp/customer/sharpening.jsp

But then of course ya gotta pay for shipping and stuff and it's a bit of a hassle..
dipsetnj

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Michael Chu Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Jörg wrote:

I haven't yet sharpened my Cutco chef's knife, but I've heard others claim it is much more difficult and tedious to do than other knives. As to how long they hold their edge after sharpening - that's going to be an interesting experiment...

Mike Chu and his whole cutco shyt is a scam....dont get involved
kndygrl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: dull knives Reply with quote

Your problem might be your cutting board, not your knives. Glass, marble & granite are all to hard & will dull knives quickly.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Chu Reply with quote

dipsetnj wrote:
Mike Chu and his whole cutco shyt is a scam....dont get involved

I don't get what you're trying to say there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum