Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scanpan, Ameriware, etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonstickfred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Scanpan, Ameriware, etc Reply with quote

I own a scanpan 9.25 frypan. I thought at last I was safe! BS! The hawker at costco, who sez HIS non-stick is titanium and Ceramic (which on the 'surface' (get it) looks a great deal like that cheap glittery silverstone or such, not like my uni-colored scanpan) also says that Ameriware used to sell the materials to scanpan, and that his outfit has been in biz for over 100 years. Anger

Now, after spending about an hour or so reading this forum, it appears that scanpan, might be a better product than americare, but in the end, they just might both be hype!

Is there a truly non-toxic, easy to clean, great weight to damnit ratio, and if there is, what the hell is its name, and where can I fly to in order to purchase thousands of dollars worth?
Thanks for ze help!
Noone

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Scanpan Reply with quote

I owned a few Scanpan. I was very nice for a few first months. It nonstick surface is harder than those Teflon, but eventually it bubble, chip and scratch just like any other non-stick surface. Our Circulon seem to be hold it surface better. I think about getting to high quality stainless steel next time.

Regarding safety, I don't think any non-stick is good for your health. The best is earthware, next is glass, then stainless steel.
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ScanPan that had bubbles in the bottom and sent it back and the company sent me a new one. It has nice depth for it's size, but I've found better.

I highly recommend Swiss Diamond for non-stick cookware. It is heavy, pressure cast aluminum core with a bonded, not sprayed-on surface. I have almost every piece they make and love it. If you want just a few pieces it is available in open stock, but their sets are very nicely priced.

I use it almost daily and it looks like I just bought it, although it is two years old. It has a limited lifetime warranty and can be used with metal utensils and in the dishwasher (although I would not dream of doing either!) Use only medium heat. Anything I have ever burned in it poured out without sticking and rinsed out perfectly clean.

You can't go wrong with this cookware, and it should last a lifetime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum