Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pans? We Have Pans. Which pan for what job and why.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhuckaba wrote:
I guess my real concern was the >faulty< part, with so many people who care properly for their pans having the nonstick finish degrade, chip, scratch, or flake...

Yeah, if they begin to flake and you'll notice because you pay attention, right? If they begin to flake or fail, toss to recycle bin and buy a new one. While I do have friends that treat their non-stick like tin coated solid copper and/or antique cast iron, for the most part they are disposable. This means, don't get attached to them and if there's a question, toss.

Toss.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eggs Reply with quote

[quote="DrBiggles"][quote="mhuckaba"]So it has been established that stainless, cast iron, copper are all good for browning, making sauces with the resulting fond, etc.

Tell me then, if non-stick is dangerous and faulty, how do you cook eggs and other delicate things (crepes, Swedish pancakes, etc)? With tablespoons of oil? I love the flavor that butter and bacon drippings impart on food, but for those of us who are calorie concious, what peice of cookware is safe, durable, and suitable for use with small amounts of oil?[/quote]

This whole non-stick issue being dangerous is a damed Chicken Little story and it's gone too far. If you're dumb enough to set your non-stick pan on a flame and walk away for 20 minutes you deserve what's coming to you. However, if you follow the manufacturer's instructions for using the pan? It's no more dangerous than a butterfly.
Use and enjoy whatever pan you've got and move on. Be frightened of things like hurricanes, not fry pans.

Biggles[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with DrBiggles, as long as you don't burn your pans, non-stick is fine.
mac8000

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Baumalu copper pans Reply with quote

cynicalb wrote:
Fellow equipment hounds,

Have any of you used Baumalu copper pots and pans (from Alsace, France)? I saw some today for the first time and was very surprised. They are hammered copper, tin lined, cast iron handle and appear to be at least 2mm thickness. The surprising aspect is that they are about 1/3 the price of a comparable Mauviel pan. Fit and finish isn't quite as nice as Mauviel, but is pretty good - definitely appear to be a super bargain for what they are for the price (i.e. too good to be true). Appear to be much better quality than comparably priced Italian copper cookware (which is typically only 1mm thickness). I'd be interested in any comments any of you have, especially our Continental readers who probably know more about this brand than we do in the States. I tried searching the net, but all the sites I found were in French (which I do not speak) and the company does not have a website. Thanks in advance.

cb

Hi,

Yes, I've just bought a Baumalu pan, a Sauteuse. It's really very good, weighing in at 2.5kg and came with a lid. I found it in a French supermarket and it was much cheaper compared to the alternatives here in the UK (which would have been about £120 sterling). It's plain sided, (better then hammered) but has a lip, and a straight edge is obviously preferable for sauces. However there were other pans, straight edged and I'll be looking for some next time I go to France.

It has a good thickness, a heavy enough base, so it transmits the heat well, is tinned by hand to a good standard, has a fully rivetted iron handle and is balanced well. So far I can't fault it.

As for any decent pans, if you get one, ensure to remove the varnish, seal it properly before using, don't scrub it, don't use detergent or put it in a dish-washer and only use wooden implements. Then it should last as long as you need.

Good luck.

Mac8000
Steve MoQueen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Falk Culinair Reply with quote

I have had a couple of Falk Culinair copper sauce pans for 10-12 years now. They are fantastic. I collect cookware of all sorts including old cast iron (Griswold, Wagner), AllClad, Calphalon, etc. and the Falk pans are hands down the very best. They were not cheap even back in the early 1990s and they weigh a ton but they are certainly worth it.
cOOKnEWB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will be before pans will start being coated with this stuff:

www.liquidmetal.com

Its like the ultimate coating material! Fairly non stick from what I gather, incredibly durable and apperently the most non reactive metal mix out there.
The Mad Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: "Copper disk" pans Reply with quote

My fave for value and performance.

Stainless interior and sides. Way more durable than tin, and surface performs great for browning. Very easy to clean when warm.

Laminate to very thick copper base. Extremely uniform heat distribution from centre to edges of 12.5" pan. Once it is heated, cooks perfectly with very little heat.

How much benefit do you get with copper sides? Heat source is at the bottom, and heat rises...
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you can't quite fit everything on the flat part of the pan? Big smile
CookNewb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Viking, are you referring to a specific brand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum