Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Knife Covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the swiss are selling the edge-mag. why can't you buy it in europe?

jessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many latino and asian cooks in kitchens I've worked in use cardboard cut out the exact dimensions of the knife, then wraped with the circulars from sunday papers, the glossy and almost enamel paper and then wrapped again by the plastic wrap from the kitchen. Creates a nice protective barrier around the knife and is cheap and easy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paper guards are very dirty. please don't use!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: The "knife block" you already have Reply with quote

I put my knives down the crack between the stove and the counter. Free, no edge wear, convenient.

tOM
Pete M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the plastic, slide in, edge guards work great, and only gost a couple of bucks - my local knife store has some marked messermeister, but I think they are several brands
beerboyone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: home made Reply with quote

I made a couple sleeves out of cardboard from a cereal box. cover it with black duct tape and it is durable and looks decent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: blocks Reply with quote

As far as putting knives edge up or down in blocks;

When the kn is Edge DOWN, it is resting on the heal of blade & top of tip against wood. Correct

When in block EDGE UP, kn is now resting on spine of blade ( where you may rest your thumb ) & about 1-2" in from the tip ,Right On the Edge, dulling a very usefull part of the edge.

We own a chain of cutlery stores & a couple of months into each new employees time, we come in to see all the knives in blocks up side down. Everyone must think of this revelation at one time or another.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: knife safe Reply with quote

I've tried the knife safe on a carbon knife, and the rubber nubs that hold the blade ended up staining the blade, even though the knife was only in there for a short period of time (a few minutes). I was able to remove the staining after some time, but ended up returning that holder.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: guard for ceramic blades Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a these on any ceramic knives? I have a few Kyocera ceramics and have yet to find a solution I like. I don't like putting them in a block and am currently just using the drawers, but don't like the idea of the ceramic blades banging around with everything else - too brittle and too expensive.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my knife block has slot that are horizontal.....
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The "knife block" you already have Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I put my knives down the crack between the stove and the counter. Free, no edge wear, convenient.

tOM

I do the exact same thing. It is very convenient and makes them easy to access.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Knife guards for cleavers Reply with quote

I am looking for a edge guard for a cleaver. I have not seen anything available. What would you suggest?
Thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Knife guards for cleavers Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
I am looking for a edge guard for a cleaver. I have not seen anything available. What would you suggest?

If you can find the magnetic covers (Forschner Edge-Mag) then I'd suggest using that and just covering the edge of the cleaver. The rest will hang out, but at least the sharp parts will be covered.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: blocks Reply with quote

guest wrote:
As far as putting knives edge up or down in blocks;

When the kn is Edge DOWN, it is resting on the heal of blade & top of tip against wood. Correct

When in block EDGE UP, kn is now resting on spine of blade ( where you may rest your thumb ) & about 1-2" in from the tip ,Right On the Edge, dulling a very usefull part of the edge.

Dilbert wrote:
my knife block has slot that are horizontal.....

YES!!! Horizontal is the best way. The knives don't rest on ANY part of the edge. Furthermore, the knife block slot doesn't get worn when you slide the knife in and out. At least that happened to my first knife block that had vertical slots. My horizontal slotted block is now older and gets more use than my first one and doesn't show that wear pattern.
yvonne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: re: your site Reply with quote

great information on how to care for kitchen knives. my husband's an engineer, so this site got my attention purely by its name. i'll be sure to pass it on to my friends who are engineers, too.

please feel free to visit my food blog, My Halal Kitchen at http://www.myhalalkitchen.com

all the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: