Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways Reply with quote

Article Digest:
For pork ribs that literally fall off the bone, I use an oven to slowly cook the ribs.

The recipe is quite simple: mix 18 oz. of barbeque sauce (1 bottle) with 1/2 cup orange juice. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Place ribs in pan and flip using tongs so ribs are coated. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a 300°F oven. Total cooking time can be as short as 2 hours or as long as 4 hours. Flip ribs over halfway through cooking.

Cooking the ribs for 2 hours will result in meat almost falling off the bones. If you cook for four hours, the ribs may be hard to lift out of the pan because the meat will be on the verge of falling off the bones under slight pressure. The cartilage will also be soft and practically melt in the mouth.

After the ribs are done cooking, remove th aluminum foil and continue to cook for about 10 min. per side to thicken the sauce.

A variation on this recipe is to make Chinese cinnamon spare ribs. Usually this dish is made on a stovetop with spare ribs cut into small pieces. This recipe will work for both whole ribs and for cut ribs, but I prefer the whole ribs.

In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup sherry, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. ground black pepper. Pour into 9x13 pan and bake in same way as previous recipe.

Oven Baked Spare Ribs
Barbeque sauce
1 bottle BBQ saucewhisk
1/2 cup orange juice

Chinese Cinnamon
1 cup soy saucewhisk
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sherry
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground black pepper

Bake at 300°F for at least 2 hours, flipping ribs halfway.
Uncover and bake each side for 10 minutes to finish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a pig and it replied: "No, I don't have any spare ribs".

So stop eating the pig, f*#ker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at talking to pigs, I think it's probably time to let off on the meth.

I cover the ribs with thin lemon slices before cooking. Start adding sauce when they are about half cooked. Try it !

I like to lightly brown the ribs in a large cast-iron skillet before putting them into the oven. It gives them just a little more of a "crust" with beautifully tender meat inside.

I like to eat my ribs raw with some liver and father beans. Very tasty, I must now run.

Hi! I just wanted to say thank you for putting this recipie up. I have been looking all day on how to cook oven baked ribs, and your's is the only one i could find that was right for me! Thanks!
Dan the Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey chief,
Got another similar method.
I dry rub them first; brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper(not an exact science for me, search for dry rub recipies and knock yourself out), cover in aluminum foil with sealed edges(you can braise them right in same the foil if youre carful not to rip it), and chill in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. Open one end of the foil, pour in 1 1/2 cup of white wine(or a can of beer) and 1-2 tablespoons of liquid smoke(I happen to like the hickory flavor), seal it up, bake it at 250 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Once finished, throw the sucker on the broiler and slather it with bbq sauce, should only be a minute or two per side,watch for the sugar in the BBQ sauce to caramelize.
Works for me since I have long parted with my Weber.
Dan

Ammendment to the above:
I also use onion and garlic powder in the rub.

father beans, that's funny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone here know of some other variations of the over cooked rib recipes? Ive tried and loved both of the above mentioned recipes, but am trying to satisfy the tasebuds of my young teenager. Please help.

To build on Dan's recipe - marinate overnight with either the dry rub, or a wet suce that is ketchup based with most of the dry rub ingredients - might want to include some chipolte seasoing,dice up a couple of fresh jalepenos, a little white vinegar -

Bake at a lower heat for a longer period of time 5-6 hours at no more than 250 F - beer, foil, all the other things are right on the money -

Hi Micheal,
I would love to try your baked rib recipe
but you didn't say how many lbs.of ribs it
makes.
Michael Chu

The sauce is enough for about a whole rack of spare ribs. You'll need two pans (probably) for it. Use a deeper pan (2 in. is about right; 5 cm) to hold the juices and liquid that you will put in and that will accumulate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's Recipe is very simular if not excatlly the same as Alton Brown's from "Good Eats" which is the best way to get that long smoked flavor with out investing time, pain and alot of money in a real smoker.
P.S. Thanks for not calling these ribs "Barbequed" to many times people refer to this procedure to BBQ which is like calling a moped a harley just cause it has 2 wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: