Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Souffle Times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msb1976

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Souffle Times Reply with quote

Hi
I've just recently started making souffles. For the most part I'm having success and enjoying myself. I've tried making mushroom souffles a few times and I've found that the cook times are much higher and that they are rising as high as other souffles (even cheese souffles). Is it the butter that I'm cooking the mushrooms in prior to pureeing that could be cause the extra time? or is the problem something entirely different?

That the cooking time is longer isn't so much an issue. But the fact that they aren't rising as high is. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

thanks.
Chef Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common problem when ya want to make a souffle with ingredients with a VERY high moisture content. In addition to the moisture content the added fat from the saute' makes it harder on the the leavener (air).

Try this....pat the mushrooms dry after the saute....add a bit of flour to help provide some structure to the mushrooms before folding in the egg whites. The small amount of flour will help to absorb some of the water the mushrooms release during the baking process...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum