Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Braised Brussels Sprouts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Try Roasting them! Reply with quote

I've been roasting Brussel Sprouts for years. Clean them, place in roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, fresh garlic, kosher salt. Put in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, until tender. For final 3-4 minutes broil to develop crust on outside.

Serve hot, cold, room temp. Believe me, delicious!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think Brussels sprouts are something that the child palate just doesn't handle very well. I *hated* them as a kid; always had to eat three (why three, I don't know, but my mother's rule) and I'd hold my nose and chew them as little as possible.

Grew up, and bought some by mistake (there was a bag in with the frozen broccoli). I was broke enough that I had to eat what I had, and I cooked them *just* like my mother had (meaning, I followed the directions on the bag), and they were *wonderful.*

I've found the same true for asparagus, beets, turnips, parsnips, and rutabaga: I like them much, much more than I did as a child, even when cooked exactly the same way. (Okay, I still don't like parsnips very much, but they no longer make me want to gag.)
Minbar2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Brussels Sprouts Reply with quote

I just tried your recipe. Just what I wanted. Thanks!

Smile
kskerr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Strike 2 Reply with quote

Ok I tried them as a kid and hated them, tried them braised and did not care for them, and now they have one last chance to redeem themselves and only because I bought 12 and only cooked 6. Think I'll go with carmalizing them as I think Sabrina suggested for trial 3. Or I'll roast three in the toaster oven and saute the rest, we'll see...
SF Knitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this recipe was tasty.
ktexp2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many vegetables are so much better only slightly cooked, if at all! Broccoli is another example - I like mine steamed or gently cooked, but my boyfriend's family likes them loaded down with salt and garlic, boiled, then roasted. I had some last Thanksgiving and I choked they were so salty! I gagged down all I put on my plate, to be polite. There was no broccoli taste left in them, which is a shame. Why eat something that doesn't taste like its supposed to? Yuck!

Anyways, when I worked for a restaurant, the chef decided he was going to make Brussels sprouts braised in Scotch. I think more Scotch went into the chef than the sprouts, but the kitchen smelled like alcohol for days. Those little buggers sure can absorb a lot of Scotch! That's all the first batch tasted like. The employees ate most of those Smile

That was a fun day...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: brussels sprouts starters Reply with quote

As starters and to add colour to the buffet table, i use this simple recipe.

Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a non-stick pan. Sautée chopped onions on medium heat till caramalized. Add the b.sprouts ( cut into halves) and sautée for 5-7 minutes. Add juliennes of dried tomatoes. Stir for 2 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons of cream. Sprinkle just a hint of dried herbs ( rosemary, basil, thyme). Add salt to taste. Serve hot. Goes well with grilled bread.

Using mediterranean dishes like baked pasta, marinated bell peppers, tomato and mozarella salad etc as other side dishes would be wiser. I prefer it as an option and not 'the' only option.
Clement

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Chemical compound released in the cooking water Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I cooked some brussels sprouts this week end and I remember that my mother always told me to first boil the sprouts for a couple of mins and then discard the water.
You then get rid of the chemical to causes gastro problems.
Any ideas what it is?

http://allonfood.blogspot.com/2005/12/belgian-cooking-brussels-sprouts.html

Have a look at the pictures. The sprouts could look better but they are not overcooked. They just have been badly treated in the pan Wink
trist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm the only one in the family that enjoys eating brussel sprouts. maybe because they look like little cabbages to me. hehe..

i often chop them and then stir fry it with some ham and pine nuts. yummy! Big smile
Guest69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: brussels sprouts are mostly an adults treat Reply with quote

A friend of mine told me of this technique of cooking brussels sprouts and it is so good I think almost anyone would like it. You simply simmer the sprouts in orange juice ( just enough to almost cover them) minced garlic and salt for about 8 - 10 minutes or until tender. Strain off 3/4 of the liquid, transfer sprouts from pot to oven safe dish, place in a single layer and cover with grated cheddar cheese. Broil these in the oven JUST until cheese is melted, be careful not to overcook or burn them. TADA, you can now enjoy this wonderful way to eat sprouts, hope you enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: I love Brussels sprouts Reply with quote

They tend to give me a lot of gas, though. Oh, well.
daddy_cooker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Yummy with parmesian Reply with quote

I've tried this recipe twice now and love it. It cooks the sprouts just right without over cooking them. I have been adding some fresh-grated parmesian cheese to the recipe as well, as I think sharp parmesian taste works very well with the nutty flavor of the sprouts.
socal_chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved brussel sprouts! Grew up with them blanched and served with butter and salt. I enjoy sauteeing them in olive oil and minced garlic.

My favorite way to enjoy them though is pickled. First discovered in a bloody mary in downtown Milwaukee. I've found a specialty shop here in Southern CA that carries a spicy version of pickled ones called Gourmet Atomic Frog Balls. Here's their site: http://www.bsgf.com/
civil engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Mine eat Brussel Sprouts Reply with quote

Phooey!
I full-heartedly disagree with the comments on " a child's palate" not ready for Brussels sprouts. I've been serving Brussels Sprouts to my kids for years now. They not only eat their sprouts without protest, they eat many other vegetables and ask for seconds too. "Mommy can we have sauteed Brussels sprouts with dinner?" - that's actually my husband's specialty. It involves, butter, onions, salt and pepper and the iron skillet. I'm more of a "steam-them" cook.

I'd like to blame the preparation as being the reason for kids' distaste for Brussels sprouts and other veggies - from boiling into a yucky mush to overly stewed and salted jarred baby food. Maybe our mini-food processor saved my little ones' tastebuds. It's a theory anyway...

In Texas we bought frozen Brussels sprouts and occassionally the fresh version. But our best experience was eating them in France. Who'd of thought that Brussels sprouts could actually be sweet! Now we live in Maryland and I find it harder to find bagged, frozen Brussels sprouts. So, we are limited to buying in-season, fresh...not a bad thing.

Unfortunately, no matter how I prepare them, neither child likes yellow summer squash.

By the way, great website! I enjoyed all of the new ideas for Brussels sprouts, not to mention learning the correct spelling too!
Doubtsprout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Love them NOW Reply with quote

I can remember as a child plucking the nasty cabbage balls (brussel sprouts) my mother perpared off my plate because they were disgusting. For over thirty years I was afraid to try them because of childhood memories. Recently by mistake I had place a dinner order and brussels had arrived on my plate. I said to my self yuck cabbage balls' got to throw them away. But they didn't look the color of puck green as when my cooked them, but were a rich green color...looked good enough to eat. So I tried one my goodness they were wonderful. Now I'm a fan of the sprout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: