Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimuffin tins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Minimuffin tins Reply with quote

Please help! At Christmas every year, my family and I, painstakingly press hand-made pie dough into each of these little tins compartments. Well, this year my sister developed arthritis in her thumbs from doing this, the pastries we make are given as gifts, but we each make about two thousand of these treats every year. There has got to be an easier way, I know that the companies that sell mini cheesecakes and mini quiche don't hand press their dough, they probably have special machines that press it into pre-formed shells. I am open to suggestion, and have even considered contacting those companies.
saltcedar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Tart Press Reply with quote

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=184&categoryCode=BK

HTH
Chris
Disneymom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tart Press Reply with quote

saltcedar wrote:
http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=184&categoryCode=BK

HTH
Chris

I was going to suggest the same thing, but you beat me to it Chris! Smile

~MLE
Taamar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other way to do it (I do it with fluted tartlet pans) is to roll out the dough and cut circles. put the circles on the BACK side of a muffin tin, then put another muffin tin on top. Flip and remove the first tin.
newfanofCFE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: MiniMuffin Tins Reply with quote

Saw Food Network show where a family made small pies (4"-6" size). Husband built a little hinged press. The dough ball went into the bottom, then the handle swung down to press into a perfect shell.

I have one of the mini-muffin presses that two people mentioned, and use it a lot for tartlets. Here's my technique... Have a deep bowl with flour to keep dipping the wooden press into - roll a small ball of dough - center it in the bottom of the tin - flatten it a bit so its even - dip the press and tap off excess flour - SLOWLY press straight down trying to keep the dough even as it comes up the sides of the tin - rotate the press to release it from the dough - keep rotating the press as you lift it out of the tin - also use the press to tap and press the dough to the sides of the pan. Be sure to keep dipping the press into the flour, tapping off the excess each time.

Also, be sure to check out Flo Brakers "Sweet Miniatures" cookbook. She was a caterer and has great suggestions for large quantities of treats. Suggests prepping tartlets by doing one motion at a time. 1. Drop chunks of dough into tins 2. Roll chunks into balls 3. Press into tins and so on. She has techniques for rolling dough en masse, and great suggestions for planning large projects.

It's a great book.
bevwinkle1@hotmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: mini pan dough press Reply with quote

cut the circle of the dough larger than the bottom of the tin hole and place on top of the tin hole and use a floured bottom of a shot glass and press into hole,perfect and easy as pie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum