Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LamsonSharp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: LamsonSharp Reply with quote

What do the "pros" and other knife people think about these knives.

Mainly a 8" Chef, 6" sandwich and 4" parer, all with kullens, to get started with. I've never owned a nice set of knives but have used a few. I know I did like the Lamson when I used it. That set will cost me $150 delivered.

And compare these to the Globals? What set would you go with?

And any other recommendations?

I'm looking for a set of durable knives, I don't mind sharpening every time I use, but would prefer not to have to. I also don't need the sharpest thing on the market, just a good knife that will last and that I can literally pass on to my childeren if I wanted to.

thanks,
Dave
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you purchase a Global knife. hold it in your hands. Personally, I have never held a knife that had such an uncomfortable, hard to hold handle. Knives with round handles are also hard to hold and manipulate.

Sharpening a knife that you sharpen every time you use it with a steel takes about 4-5 strokes on the steel, and your knives will be sharp forever.
65notch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly correct Gary,

I really liked the blade on the Global, but the handle was just too small. So I couldn't tell if the stainless steel handle was at issue, but I'm sure even if it was bigger, I wouldn't have liked the rounded steel handle anyhow.

After numerous recommendations for the amount of money I wanted to spend on knives, I was directed to and in fact, purchased, a couple of Tojiro DP knives. a ~9" Gyuto and 5.25" utility.

I've heard/read great things about these knives. In fact even the knife review here on this board recommended them as the best quality knife for the dollar. And they are "western" style Japanese blades, double beveled, and western style handles.

Got both for $99 shipped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum