Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sticky Cinnamon Buns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etzrite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Sticky Cinnamon Buns Reply with quote

I have been trying to make a sticky bun but my coating often comes out grainy. Sometimes it comes out perfectly but I can not achieve good results consistently. Sad
The recipe consists of butter, brown sugar and corn syrup which is supposed to be melted together and stirred until smoothe and combined. This is then poured into a pan and the dough is added and is baked. The resulting cinnamon bun can be awesome Smile but can also be not nearly as good if the topping is grainy...Have any ideas?

ETZRITE
Disneymom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticky Cinnamon Buns Reply with quote

etzrite wrote:
I have been trying to make a sticky bun but my coating often comes out grainy. Sometimes it comes out perfectly but I can not achieve good results consistently. Sad
The recipe consists of butter, brown sugar and corn syrup which is supposed to be melted together and stirred until smoothe and combined. This is then poured into a pan and the dough is added and is baked. The resulting cinnamon bun can be awesome Smile but can also be not nearly as good if the topping is grainy...Have any ideas?

ETZRITE

My initial thought is that perhaps you are heating the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup too high. I think sugar can get grainy in texture if you're not careful about how high you heat it, but don't quote me on that. The other thing that crossed my mind is that the brown sugar is not dissolving completely--leaving a grainy texture in your topping. I always heat my surgar toppings (that require stove top preperation) on low to med-low heat so that I don't chance scorching it or turning it into hard candy or toffee/caramel. Perhaps someone else can give more insight on this?

~MLE
T

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Sugar Crystallization Reply with quote

It sounds like your problem might be caused by sugar crystallizing on the side of the bowl. (Refer to a candy making book for more details, but the short version of the answer is:) "Wash" the side of the bowl with a wet pastry brush to keep it from sticking to the side or stir in such a way as to not wash the mixture up onto the sides.
Taamar

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a crystalization problem to me too. Try adding a little acid to the mixture while you're cooking it... either lemon juice or 1 part cream of tartar disolved in 3 parts water . A tablespoon of either will 'invert' the sugar (invert sugar is sucrose that has been broken down with an acid into glucose and fructose).
MER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Sticky buns Reply with quote

From the recipe for Philadelphia sticky buns published in the 1960's in the Philadelphia Bulletin -

Pour about 1/2" corn syrup in the bottom of the buttered pan. Flatten the dough for the sticky bun into a rectangle (thickness is up to the cook). Spread the rectangle with butter leaving one long side unbuttered for about 1/2". Then sprinkle on a brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Add raisins and chopped nuts, if desired. Roll up the dough toward the unbuttered portion and seal the roll. Cut into the desired thickness and place the buns, cut side down in the pan. Bake and when done, invert the pan over a plate. If you allow them to cool, you will need to reheat them or they will be stick to the pan. I usually invert the pan on an oven-proof plate and warm until I can easily lift off the pan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum