Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Salsa Cruda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mexican engineer ....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: SALSA & COCKTAIL Reply with quote

HOLA!! from México,

Recipes for salsa, here, change from kitchen to kitchen. I like mine with green onion, cilantro, tomato and jalapeno. Everything diced. I don´t take out seeds and don´t use lime. I add salt and a little cooking oil, it makes all the ingredients "sweat" all their juices and mix, and the oil helps preserve it for a couple of days in the fridge. As for the cocktail, we use this same salsa and mix it with the cooked shrimp, oysters or clams, (in their cooking water), add ketchup and lime. We use saltines with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was good! After trying to make my own salsa a while ago in my slow cooker, I figured I should try something raw. The slow cooked salsa was runny and had too much of a tomato flavour. So I gave this a shot today with the massive amounts of roma tomatoes I just bought. The chopping wasn't so bad!

I used 6 roma tomatoes because I don't have a kitchen weight scale and I just guessed how much would make up a pound and a half. I put them in the colander while I chopped everything else. I used a white onion as other people have commented on and because I didn't have any red onions at home. I used all of the jalepeno seeds by scraping them off of the scooped out white membrane because my boyfriend and I like spicy salsa. Unfortunately, I didn't find it spicy enough. I will add too more peppers next time.

It was my first time ever using cilantro. When I chopped it, the smell was VERY strong. I was kind of scared but put the whole 1/4 cup in. Next time, I will use only 2 tablespoons because it was a new herb to me and so overwhelming. I also used lemon juice instead of lime juice.

My boyfriend suggested using 5 tomatoes and half of a sweet red pepper to give it some extra taste. Maybe this would be good as well? Also, I let the salsa sit in the fridge for a few hours after mixing it, and there was LOTS of liquid at the bottom of it. I didn't know if this was normal or not... but I mixed the salsa well and then drained most of the extra liquid off.

Thanks for this great recipe! I really enjoyed eating salsa that I knew was in it rather than overly salty and sloppy jarred stuff!
chef help

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: chef help Reply with quote

very good recipe
thanks to share
italian food

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: good Reply with quote

All about easy chili recipe and much more italian dishes
Pat V

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Salsa Cruda Reply with quote

I do a lot of Mexican cooking and I always get requests for my salsa cruda recipe. I use about 6 very ripe roma tomatoes, ½ white onion or 3 green onions-white and green parts-finely chopped, Jalapeno or Serrano chiles (start with one and add more if you want a hotter salsa) about ¼ cup washed and chopped cilantro (remove large stems) salt and dash of freshly ground pepper. I never use garlic in salsa cruda. I never drain the salsa—that would make it tasteless! Let it sit for a while (to “sweat”) and mix. Taste for heat and add more chiles if you like. Serve in a bowl with a wooden or plastic spoon (metal is a no-no) If you like it chunky, drain the juices on the inside of the bowl with the spoon. Smile
goodtogoth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: salsa cruda Reply with quote

Some of these sound way to complicated for a name of cruda (crudus) which does mean raw but also simple. I like to keep things as simple and as cheap as realistically possible. I buy the cheapest of all ingredients so that this is a reasonable thing to make often.
I use 6 to 8 medium tomatoes (adjusted +2 to 4 for roma when they are cheapest), one white, yellow or red onion (cheapest), one bunch of cilantro, a lemon from my tree, about 1/2 tsp garlic if I have it and salt to taste. I also think it takes more salt then what I originally thought it would need. I use one whole jalapeno pepper seeds and all (except the stem). For the quantity, it really isn't that much pepper, and I don't have a high threshold for the heat. No draining, no peeling. I just throw each ingredient into the food processor one at a time. I can make it as chunky or pulpy as I desire.
If any remains after a few days, I will cook the remainder to keep it safe and thicken it up. It is close to my favorites at SuperMex or Burnt Tortilla in the LA area.
H2O eng

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Salsa Cruda Reply with quote

After reading a dozen great recipes I thought I would post here. We have a Pacific Ranch Market in Orange, California that sells fresh homemade salsa every day. It's to die for. So I tried to duplicate it and found that 6 roma tomatoes, one chopped medium yellow onion, 2 (or 3) serrano chilis, one bunch cilantro, one big (juicy) lime, and one tsp salt did the trick. I tried garlic once and learned my lesson.

To save time I "dice" my tomatoes in my Vita-Mix, just enough for chunky style. Since I love the blended juices I never drain it, nor did Pacific Ranch Market.

Great website for browsing new ideas. It's definitely a "cut above" the rest.
Ephraim F. Moya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Salsa Reply with quote

Michael,

You might be interested in my recipe for salsa. Here it is:

http://moya.us/MoyaFamily/recipes/RCPsalsa.php

Regards,
EFM

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Salsa rest time Reply with quote

Park the salsa in the fridge for half an hour or so. That allows the flavors to mix and mingle and all that.
shocker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: COOKING...a bit funnyer Reply with quote

Good article.
People! Don't you ever cook like this!!!

http://feketefene.wordpress.com/2007/05/24/

Verry Funny!
TheGuth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: SalsaCruda Reply with quote

I make a very similar Salsa.Cruda regularly. I like to top thin sliced grilled tritip with it whenever I can. I love the 'fruity' pepper flavor quite a bit, so my only variations are that I generally use white or yellow onions and, in addition to the single jalapeno, I add about 2-3 anaheim chilis and 2-3 poblano chilis. Usually roast about half of those right on the coals, leave the rest raw. As you stated, removing the seeds and membranes. Oh, and as others have commented, be sure to slice tomatoes across the equator and squeeze out the seeds!
Amparo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Without chile Reply with quote

An option for us who can't stand hot food (I'm Mexican and can't each chile, go figure), it can also be made without the chile. Here in Mexico we usually make the one with yellow onions and lime and without the garlic. Try it on "molletes" that can be done on baguettes cut in half with black beans and manchego cheese on top. Big smile Personal favorite.
Coles_Law

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it almost reads like a batch mix for C40 concrete

Looks like a 9 inch slump to me...

Seriously though, this recipe is great! I'm a fan of spicy salsa, so I toss all the seeds in. Also, mixing in a bit of corn, while not exactly traditional, makes for an interesting twist.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a touch of olive oil, otherwise I prepare salsa very similarly.

I also use pomidorino tomatoes when possible.
Mario Lopez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: pepper Reply with quote

Try a serrano pepper instead of the jalepeño, I find it to have a better flavor. I go to a mexican restuarant where they add diced cabbage and I believe vinegar instead of lime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: