Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

high btu wok burners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltonyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: high btu wok burners Reply with quote

know where i can get a cheap, efficient, high btu wok cooker?

- Tony
rexmo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: NG, propane, charcoal, or electric? Reply with quote

What fuel?

What do you consider cheap?
eltonyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking for something that is portable, more or less.

i was thinking butane would deliver the biggest btu's, but i am open for suggestions.

i want the heat source to heat the entire bottom of the wok, like a traditional cooker wherein the wok sits in a recessed hole.

ah...heck... i should just make one!
rexmo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: try to find an asian rest. supply or a. grocery w/hardware Reply with quote

Propane is probably your best bet for portability. My favorite burner is the classic 3 ring, as in a Robert Yick Chinese range. Adjustable damper will allow it to work on LPG or NG. Might be a little high output unless you're talking about a 24" wok.

The Super Gas Stove I got at the Mobile Al flea market for $40 is a table top, two ring version with regulator, hose, tank nipple/nut, and piezo starter. It has angled standoffs to cradle a wok and also a flat support for a smaller saucepan, with control that allows the inner ring to be used alone. I think I have seen them on ebay, also saw one for $85 at a Viet grocer in Ft. Lauderdale area recently.

For NG, the 32-jet, 23-jet, and duck burners from Ch. grocer feature multiple small jets on a cast iron manifold. Excellent wok burners, but burn sooty on propane. The orifice is built into each jet element, so no flexibility on fuel use. This is what I'm using on my original brewing stove burner stand, most often pressed into use to start charcoal.

Metal Fusion is I believe the name of the outfit that makes the burners used in a lot of fish/crawfish cookers and turkey fryers. Off season the turkey fryers sometimes go on sale for as little as $25.

A 2" diameter bunsen burner with the right size orifice will put out around 200,000 BTU/hr. They are loud. I made a couple up using a swirljet spray nozzle as the orifice body for my brewing stove, it probably does closer to 300,000. Sounds like a jet engine when cranked up. If uninterrupted by a wok or other target, the flame shoots 6 feet into the air.

For portable, the Thai bucket stove and charcoal is a good option as well.

And if electricity is available, a Sunpentown induction hot plate might be worth looking at, although a little spendy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: high btu wok burners Reply with quote

eltonyo wrote:
know where i can get a cheap, efficient, high btu wok cooker?

- Tony

The easiest way is to use a Turkey Fryer. Many of them are round, they generally are large, and because they are set up to run off a 20 lb propane bottle, are easy to use outside. Keeps the heat high, the smoke outdoors, and the wallet relatively intact. Good luck.
Gunvald

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Portable Wok Setup Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for a while and have combined it with another idea to get an efficient solution for both.

Build a backyard aluminum foundry.

Use a cylinder that's slightly smaller than the wok, build insulated walls inward, angle them down to match the wok sides, make an air hole at the bottom with a duct leading to a fan, use charcoal as your fuel, turn on the air to release the energy at an accelerated rate, wok till you heart's content.

linky:
http://www.visi.com/~darus/foundry2/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum