Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cast iron recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Cast iron recommendations Reply with quote

I'm thinking of expanding my cookware collection by getting a 10 or 12" cast iron skillet and perhaps a stainless skillet later on. My questions are: what brand(s) of cast iron should I look for, what price should I expect to pay, and can cast iron make a good fond for pan sauces?

Thanks,
Mike
Jörg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cast iron recommendations Reply with quote

Smert wrote:
what brand(s) of cast iron should I look for

I buy Lodge-brand cast iron, from the Lodge Logic line. I've had no trouble with them, and I haven't heard about anyone who has. Some swear by Griswold, but you'll have to find those (used) at flea markets and such. The biggest difference between Griswold and Lodge Logic will probably be the cooking surface. Griswold is apparently polished and smooth, whereas the Lodge Logic is typically rough (though I understand that at least one of the other lines is smooth-surfaced). The rough surface on the Lodge pieces isn't a problem, though. It's just different. Once it's seasoned, it'll cook great. I find that my Lodge Logic stuff cooks just as well as my Mother's or my Grandmother's old, smooth cast iron.

I'd say go with Lodge, if for no other reason than they're easy to find. You can get them a million places online. You can head down to Wal-mart or Target and pick up a Lodge skillet there.

Smert wrote:
what price should I expect to pay

According to Lodge's website, the 10" is $16 and the 12" is $25. You can probably do a little better if you shop around.

I imagine (but have no way of knowing) that Griswold stuff is pretty cheap, too, since you're buying used.

Smert wrote:
and can cast iron make a good fond for pan sauces?

Absolutely.

Be advised that the cast iron will hold a lot of heat, though. If you're searing meat, you may need to let it cool down a bit before deglazing. Last time I tried to make a red-wine sauce from a beef tenderloin fond, I neglected to do that. I took the beef out and immediately threw some red wine in (with the skillet about 400 degrees F). It made a mess, and I had no red wine sauce left. In the future, I'll drop a tiny bit of water in to check the temperature before I actually try to properly deglaze.

And of course, you're going to need to season your cast iron well.
Smert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
cynicalb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smert,

All I use is Griswold or Wagner. Both are only available second hand (no longer made). As Jorg says, they both have surfaces that are as smooth as glass. Properly seasoned they are virtually non-stick. In my area (WI) you can find a 10" or 12" pan for $12-$25 depending on condition and age (older are typically more expensive - collector item type of thing). I have not owned Lodge but would expect them to be decent due to the apparent quality of the casting. I don't buy Lodge because I have enough cast iron already, I can find Griswold or Wagner cheaper, and I really like the smooth surface of Griswold or Wagner. I would stay away from the cast iron produced in Taiwan. It seems to be a lower quality casting - many times when I find it second-hand it is warped, which is pretty difficult to do to cast iron unless the casting is junk.
Johneegeek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your buying new, I'd go with Lodge. They are built very well and will last you forever. I have two skillets and two dutch ovens and they are all Lodge.

Also, for ease, you may want to buy it "Pre-seasoned."
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lodge only makes pre-seasoned cast iron now.

I find pan sauces made with regular cast iron taste kind of metallic. The best buy for my buck is enamelled cast iron which makes great fond and pan sauces without off-flavors. Lodge makes them as well, I don't know the prices.

Le Creuset makes 11" skillets with helper handles and pouring spouts, as well as many other shapes and sizes of pans. You get the heat retention of cast iron and the wonderful enamel surface for flavorful pan sauces. Since they do cost a great deal more, try checking out discout stores like TJ Maxx and look for a size that will let you pan fry, braise or stew as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum