Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crockpot Mod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiff1242

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Crockpot Mod Reply with quote

Hi all,
So I recently bought a new Rival crockpot without doing much research. I made a couple dishes and my meats came out a bit overcooked and the liquid was bubbling (reached boiling), which I thought was odd because it's supposed to use really low temps (sites say food should reach 160-180ish, not 212!). Searching on the internet, I found literally hundreds of reviewers complaining about their devices. Further search revealed that new regulations have forced makers to make crockpots cook hotter for food safety (needs to get over 140 quickly). That would be fine if my pot topped off around 180 or so, a safe but not too hot temperature. However, my pot is basically cranking out heat until it boils, even when it's on low!

So I'm looking for some help on how I can basically bring down the temperature on this thing. It has no thermometer, so I believe it outputs a constant rate of heat. Here's what I've come up with so far.
1. Insert a resistor or something to reduce the current and/or voltage that is going into the device. (I have no idea how to do this, I'm no electritian)
2. Raise the liner that has the food higher out of the heating element.
3. Point a fan at the whole unit the whole time to wick away heat.
4. Strips of metal attached to the heating part using some kind of heat resistant glue to act as heat dissipation.

I'm trying to test two and three right now but haven't found a good equilibrium yet. Also, an issue with all of these approaches is that ideally, I want the food to heat up quickly for the first hour to get out of the food danger zone, then slow down the heat output. These might make the initial heat up way too slow.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and ideas. From reading all the frustrated crockpot reviews online, it seems like a good solution could really help a lot of people out there.
Thanks,
Mike
Smert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, my first thought is on controlling the heating element via a rheostat (think dimmer.) I'm not sure what kind of rating you'd need but my idea would be this:

1) Wire the rheostat on (perhaps directly on the cord, making sure to use strain relievers)
2) Use a probe thermometer to watch the temp

Unfortunately I don't know what kind of rheostat you'd need, though you might be able to salvage one from an electric skillet or other such device.

Any EE's lurking about?

-Mike
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would imagine a dimmer or rheostat/variac etc would not affect the ultimate cooking temperature or the ability of a crock pot to boil. It would only limit the current to the heating coils making it take longer to get to the same temperature, unless you decreased the current so much that short of cooking for much longer than your typical crock pot is supposed to require to cook a meal, your pot would not reach its final temperature as determined by its thermostat. Use of a dimmer would also make the pot take longer to get up to the 140 degree range. If I were to try this, I would check the power consumption on the crock pot and get a dimmer with at least that watt capacity. I think they need to re-design the microchip that controls the thermostat so they work better as you require.
Jörg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to demand your money back, or at least store credit (if you've lost the receipt). Crock pots are supposed to be useable for slow cooking, and if yours won't cook slowly, you clearly didn't get what you paid for.
spiff1242

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've made a good deal of progress with the crock pot. I've used the raising the liner method. One thing I forgot to mention is that the crockpot does not have a thermometer. I believe it just sucks up electricity at a certain rate and outputs a constant rate of heat. So basically it gets hotter and hotter until the rate of heat being produces comes into equilibrium with the heat being dissipated. So I believe the rheostat would work well. I'm just kind of afraid to mess with electrical stuff. Smile

I found that when I raised the height of the pot by about 1 1/2 inches the food inside reaches an equilibrium of 180 on low and 190 on high, which I believe is the correct temperatures. And it didn't really take too long to get to the 140 point, either, probably because these new pots are so freakin overpowered. Conveniently, 1 1/2 inches is about the height of a can of tuna, so when you're done with a can just stick a couple in there and that should solve your problem.

These tests were all done with just water. I'll have to see how this method holds up for real food now.
Disneymom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: I have the same problem with mine! Reply with quote

Spiff--

You must have the same crockpot that I have...is yours the new programmable type? My biggest issue with the whole thing is the fact that YOU (ie, I) can't put it right to the keep warm option if you ever need to unplug it and take it somewhere without having to go through the whole cooking process all over again! So, needless to say, I never take my crockpot anywhere as far as potlucks are concerned. I really wish I had known this when I bought mine 3 1/2 yrs. ago. Now, I'm stuck with a crockpot that I hate to use--although I do use it quite often. I think the next time I buy one, I'm going to look for the one that Alton Brown has in his TV kitchen--not sure of the brand, but I remember that he could set the temp. on it instead of just "high, low".

~MLE
spiff1242

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I saw the same complaint about the warm setting on many of the review boards. I believe they've fixed that problem now because mine can go to the warm setting right away. But I've found my pot fits in most microwaves, so i can heat it up a bit when I take it somewhere.
I don't think I've seen Alton Brown use a crockpot. He does bring out an electric skillet from time to time with a temperature control. I'm not sure how good that would be for slow cooking as it's a more direct heat from the bottom.
Disneymom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: AB's Slow Cooker Reply with quote

I know AB uses an electric skillet for a lot of his episodes, but I saw on one of his episodes where he used a programmable slow cooker (I don't think it was the oatmeal episode)--the slow cooker looked like the Euro Pro kind, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I've looked up the Euro Pro slow cooker and I'm pretty sure it's the one, but I can't be 100% sure. I'm a faithful Good Eats viewer (as are my kids), but I haven't seen an episode since then where he uses that slow cooker and it's driving me crazy!!
geonuc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiff1242 wrote:
Hi all,

I've made a good deal of progress with the crock pot. I've used the raising the liner method. One thing I forgot to mention is that the crockpot does not have a thermometer. I believe it just sucks up electricity at a certain rate and outputs a constant rate of heat. So basically it gets hotter and hotter until the rate of heat being produces comes into equilibrium with the heat being dissipated. So I believe the rheostat would work well. I'm just kind of afraid to mess with electrical stuff. Smile...

Raising the liner seems kind of awkward. Another advantage to the rheostat fix is that you can use the full voltage to get the thing hot quickly, then back off a bit to keep the food from boiling.

Working with simple electrical devices is no big deal. Just follow two simple rules:

1. Don't kill yourself
2. Don't kill anyone else.

Smile
ingenuity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Buy a 120v Thermostat Reply with quote

I'm willing to bet my left arm that you can simply buy a 120v thermostat off the shelf that has a moveable heat sensor. Place the heat sensor inside the crockpot and the entire device will shut on/off like an electric stove maintaining whatever degree of heat you like. Ask the smart guy at your local hardware store for right product, unless of course all you have near by is a Home Depot filled with glue sniffing morons.

But the cheapest and simplest option is buy a better crockpot.
ktexp2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, return the thing and go a thrift shop to get an older one! These new-fangled gizmos...

Alternatively, try a multicooker. This is the thing you buy at sears with the variable temperature settings and ultimately winds up as a deep fryer, but I think the lowest setting on mine would probably work for slow cooking.
Grube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm not an oficial EE I only have an associates in electronics Big smile
But yes
1. get a light dimmer that you would use on a celing light etc...
2. cut one wire on the crockpot's ac cord.
3. attach the dimmer's wires one wire to each side of the cut wire.
4. solder them together or if you can't solder get some wire nuts and of course either way cover it up with electrical tape. You might want to put the whole thing in a box.

ONLY DO THIS IF THERE ARE NO DIGITAL COTROLS ON THE UNIT. IE it just has a knob for hi and low.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look into getting a Presto Kitchen Kettle. Many years ago, I wanted a deep fryer and my wife bought me one of these for Christmas.

It can fry and it can slow-cook. It has an analog dial that's marked in degrees (F) from 400 down to 200 - below which, you still have fairly big range below "Warm". I've used a sharpie to add several marks down to 130 degrees (the 130 degree mark is still a full 1/4 turn above the "Off" setting). I arrived at these marks by propping an instant read thermometer up in some water and varying the setting until I was satisfied with the range.

I've been playing with cooking sous vide lately and am pretty impressed with its ability to hold a temperature within a few degrees (although it can take a while to stabilize). It's not a thermal immersion circulator, but, for home use, well....

I just did a Google search and it appears that it's still available and basically remains unchanged. The dial/heating element appears to be updated, but (although I can't tell for sure) it looks about the same. The price seems to range from $30 to $50. Or, there's one currently on eBay with a current bid of $13.00. Judging by the lid, this one appears to be older than mine, but I'm almost certain that it has the same dial and element.

Although I love a good hack, you'd probably pay more than $13 to make a mod work right in the end. With one of these, you'd have a slow cooker and a deep fryer out of the box.

It's not a crock pot, per se, as it's all metal. But to me, it doesn't seem like that should matter if I can keep the heat constant for long periods of time.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Danger Will Robinson, danger! Reply with quote

Grube wrote:
Ok I'm not an oficial EE I only have an associates in electronics Big smile
But yes
1. get a light dimmer that you would use on a celing light etc...
2. cut one wire on the crockpot's ac cord.
3. attach the dimmer's wires one wire to each side of the cut wire.
4. solder them together or if you can't solder get some wire nuts and of course either way cover it up with electrical tape. You might want to put the whole thing in a box.

ONLY DO THIS IF THERE ARE NO DIGITAL COTROLS ON THE UNIT. IE it just has a knob for hi and low.

I have a doctorate in EE (although many electricians would look on that as a disability more than anything else in this case) and here are my recommendations with respect to the above:

Light dimmers are not made for this sort of application. Although the heating element of the crockpot is a coil like that in a light bulb, there are different dynamics at work here. Further, altering the device will violate all sorts of codes and after the house burns down the fire investigators will determine, surprisingly rapidly, what caused it. Needless to say your insurance company may elect to pull out some small escape clause from the fine print in your policy.

It sounds to me like the design is flawed. The natural tendency of the engineer is to try to fix it and I sympathize with that. Nevertheless, we are talking about a heating appliance that is intended to be on while you are off at work (or school or whatever) for an extended period of time. We have a very old Rival (bought during the lean years of grad school oh so long ago) and it has a knob with off-low-high settings and on low it truly slow cooks over an extended period of time. My wife loads it in the morning before we leave and dinner is ready when we get home. Recipes abound and now you can buy frozen "kits" with meals. When on high it will boil whatever is in it and some recipes call for an all-day low cook followed by a period of high-cook at the end. A versatile device to have lasted almost a quarter century!

So, I suggest you follow ktexp2's advice and find one in a thrift store.
scott123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dimmer controlled crockpot has been successfully (and safely) done here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=60181&view=findpost&p=1204977
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum