Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you store your Recipes???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NhumiSD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: How do you store your Recipes??? Reply with quote

Iam in search of a good database to store my recipes. Any suggestions or, have anyone made a database? I would want it to include metric conversions, and recipe sizing, and pretty much one that could link ingredients from all the recipes.
Thanks.

-Nhumi
Nancy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Here some software info... Reply with quote

Hi Nhumi,

Try this full featured one: http://www.livingcookbook.com/

I've been playing around with it for a few days and expect to buy it. I like the nutrition analysis feature.

It has a free full-use trial (25 uses), and here is a link which compares it to other cookbook software (so now you have more to choose from).
http://www.livingcookbook.com/features/compare.htm

Just playing around for a couple of hours, I've already imported 14000 recipes from other sources. The ones I'll keep are the food network recipes (300 are from Alton Brown, 1400 from Emeril, 600 from Sara Moulton, etc.)

...Now to get all of Michael's recipes in it. Smile

Hope that helps,
Nancy
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with Now You're Cooking (NYC) - http://www.ffts.com/. I liked this program because it's so very customizable and it has a very intuitive way of entering recipes. You can work fast and efficient!

I haven't tried the program Nancy mentions above, but what they say on their compare page about NYC is totally untrue. A lot of functions they claim are not available in NYC, are very plainly just there and have been for at least two years. Bad way of promoting your own program, if you ask me. Anger

Succes
Bart
Poyma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Storing recipes Reply with quote

I use a large 3 ring binder filled with plastic page protectors. I format recipes clipped from the newspaper or copied on the backs of envelopes to fit on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

It would not really be possible to alphabetize however, since some sheets of paper have several recipes on them, sometimes grouped by ingredient(s), sometimes not.

The plastic page protectors are perfect for handling inevitable spills on the pages.

This somewhat low-tech method allows me to preserve my mother's handwritten recipes. The three ring binder has been out-grown several times, I just move all the pages to a fatter binder.
newtoCFE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Storing Recipes Reply with quote

I worked with ProChef Plus trial version. Was selling my baking for a while and it was good for pricing out what it cost to make the items. Took a while to enter ingredients in - then you select them for your recipes. Trial Version allowed (I recall) about 50 recipes. Got a new computer and haven't re-installed but probably would if I start selling again...

I also use a big binder with plastic page protectors. I'm printing most of my recipes from web sites now - epicurious, all recipes etc. so the full page printout it perfect. When I need to use a recipe, I just pop it out of the binder. It stays clean - but I can always add notes to the page.

Bought the section dividers with pockets - appetizers, soups, pasta, meat etc. If I'm interested in a recipe, it sits in the pocket till I try it. If it makes "the cut" it gets its own page protector...
Madhu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I save my recipe files in MS Word (which i know most Engineers absolutely dislike...but i guess it serves my requirements). I organize the recipes by categories - low fat, microwave foods, party foods...etc. I also keep a master file specifying what recipes i have and which folder they are located in. Everytime i create a new file/ recipe i update the master file. It hardly takes any time.
I need a recipe only for the very first time that i make the dish. After that i try variations (ingredients, no. of portions, cookign techniques etc) and like to take notes about each version that i make.
I've been wanting to document the nutritional info for my recipes. I think i will try the one Nancy mentioned. I'm glad i ran into this forum !!!
In general i like to keep my filing system uncomplicated and MS word gives me this.
Sherrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may very well be too late to benefit any of the original posters, but I came across a couple of pretty nice freeware recipe programs that I thought I would share. These programs are probably not going to approach the functionality of the better known and / or commercial programs, but I have found them to be quite useful. Additionally, they have helped me figure out what exactly is important to me in a recipe software program and what is not important. There is no cost associated with these programs, and being in a somewhat restrictive financial position, that appealed to me as well.

Here are the links. I would be very curious to hear impressions from anyone who gives them a look.

Thanks!
Sherrick

Recipe Center:
http://www.recipecentersoftware.com/

Recipe Manager:
http://www.nutritionanalyser.com/recipe_manager/recipe_manager.htm

RecipeShip:
http://www.recipeship.com/download.asp
katja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave recipeship a try, it wasn't terribly helpful as I would prefer to have the option to categorize recipes by keyword rather than copying over and over to the various folders.

On the upside it comes pre-loaded with a ton of folders by nationality, content, occasion etc. Each of these folders is pre-loaded with recipes as well.
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Now You're Cooking and really like the screen import feature. It lets you copy/paste onto a page and then it formats everything. You can also add photos and keep track of ratings.
Pasta Head

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site that lists their top ten...

http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/accuchef-review.html

I personally use Accuchef (#8)...I like it, but I don't do anything fancy with it, I just store and print recipes...
skramy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using a built in recipe database in my I-Mac Appleworks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum