Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for chocolate Truffle recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Looking for chocolate Truffle recipe Reply with quote

I am hoping to find an easy/simple recipe for chocolate truffles. I like to make hand-made treats to hand out during the holidays, but not the traditional stuff that everybody else already does (like fudge). I'm hoping to find a simple enough recipe so that my children, ages 7 & 9, can help out. I figure if we find a recipe now, we can perfect it by next holiday season. Thanks for any assistance you can offer! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have made this with young children and I could almost have left them unattended once they got the idea, except you will end up with far more truffles if you remain in the kitchen.
one incentive to control them selves is to make some special ones to be eaten when the job is finished, and some especially for significant others. Kids Love to show off their skills.

Chocolate Raisin Truffles

250 g Chocolate
250 g white chocolate
1/2 Cup Fortified tea for a kids version, booze for the old people.
125 Ml Cup Fresh cream
50 g raisins
50 g cocoa butter
100 g milk chocolate

Pre Prepare

- Fortified Tea and fruit

soak four tea bags in 1 cup of boiling water till cold, remove bags and boil tea till reduced to 1/2 cup. throw in the raisins and Soak for two days. You may think this is weird but the when you taste the finished product you would swear there was really nice booze in it.

Chocolate Cups
wrap some aluminum foil around wooden shape.
I have a dozen metal rods, with shaped ends covered with silicon which I put them in the freezer for a few hours before using.
Melt the Chocolate. Gently dip the sticks in the chocolate to form a little container. let sit for a few seconds (chocky end up) and then pop them off or give them a second coat. Kids love making the cups. Put them on waxed paper, and store in the fridge. You can knock out chocky cups really fast like this.

Make your Ganache. - The filling -
heat the cream to just under a simmer and mix in the white chocolate.

- Assemble your Truffle
Put a few raisins in each chocky cup.
cover with ganache leaving 3ml to the top
pour chocolate in to seal then chill
Smillie - OzFire -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Make your Ganache. - The filling -
heat the cream to just under a simmer and mix in the white chocolate.

Ops also add cocoa butter to the the Ganache at that stage.
also ignore the word cup I inadverantly used when stating the quantity of cream.

Hope it all works out for you. #;-D
cheers Ray
Smillie -OzFire-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, just an after thought.
You could freeze the Ganache till it is malleable then form into shapes and continue freezing
- When good and hard

1. dip into melted chocolate or

2. drop into molds filled with melted chocolate

A good source of molds can be found at
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/category.asp?start=0&c=110200

this would lower the skill required and still produce a fantastic product.

I use the larger molds it cast jelly-Aust or Jello-US for deserts, great for any frozen delights you make as well. Oh and Pate.... as well
never limit your imagination
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kimm,

I just made a bunch for New Year's evening and they came out quite good. I'm the kind of cook who does not adhere to recipes, but I will give you the general idea.

I used 350 gr. of black chocolate and approx. halve this amount of cream (175 gr) and butter (175 gr).
Melted the chocolate "au bain marie" and added the cream and butter. Made sure everything was dissolved.
I poured the contents in three pre heated cups.
In one cup I added some orange peel finely rasped and some crunched roasted walnut.
In the other cup I poured some brandy and in the last one some other liquor.

Let the cups cool down and then with a spoon picked some chocolate out and rolled it in a small ball. The ball I then rolled in some more crunched walnuts and….. voila.

Succes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Truffles Reply with quote

Dark-chocolate Truffles

Makes 30 truffles

1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

2 cups 60 percent cocoa bittersweet baking chips

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add butter and stir until melted. Add chocolate to saucepan. Stir until completely melted and smooth.

Remove from heat and pour the chocolate mixture into a shallow bowl. Cool, cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

Roll mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in cocoa or nuts.

Per serving: 86 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated), 10 mg cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrates.

(From Ghirardelli Chocolate Co.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum