Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anerobic fermentation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Anerobic fermentation Reply with quote

I have been making beer and wine all my life and have read and given lectures on the need to aerate the must or wort before adding the yeast.

Somewhere along the line, I learned that yeast ferments anerobically but not till I reached the ripe old age of 83, had I noticed the contradiction of adding oxygen to something to be fermented without it.

What am I missing?

Jack
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a particularly simple question.

"In the presence of oxygen, yeast undergo aerobic respiration and convert carbohydrates (sugar source) into carbon dioxide and water. In the absence of oxygen, yeasts undergo fermentation and convert carbohydrates into carbon dioxide and alcohol."

but note that "respiration" is not "fermentation"

typically the idea of "aeration" is more to ensure a good mixing of ingredients vs "injecting oxygen" - i.e. aeration to ensure a physical mixing, less a chemical mixture.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
it's not a particularly simple question.

typically the idea of "aeration" is more to ensure a good mixing of ingredients vs "injecting oxygen" - i.e. aeration to ensure a physical mixing, less a chemical mixture.

That does not explain why injecting pure oxygen into the wort is the state of the art method of aerating it.

js

p.s. What is the pint of this absurd confirmation code. It's a real show stopper.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you join, there's no code.
the code stops the bots.

see
https://byo.com/article/aerating-wort-techniques/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum