Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guest chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: missing step Reply with quote

a thing that also would have made a difference besides volume of flour is this: cookie dough should be chilled before baking. chilling the dough allows two things: the flour hydrates and absorbs the liquids more completely and the fat, especially butter, re-solidifies and takes that little bit longer to liquify in the oven. both of these are as much a factor in preventing spread as the differing flour amounts. the extra flour can make up for the lack of resting and chilling, but culinary schools (and in home economics classes back in the day) students are taught to chill the dough and thus save the cost of extra flour. no big deal for 40-ish grams in a single batch, but a major savings when baking larger quantities whether as a a parent back in the day when doing everything from scratch was normal and you therefore used enough flour to notice the difference of cooking wastefully over the weeks of months, or a manufacturer of packaged cookies saving 4000 kilos of flour a year.

pastry dough and bread dough should also be rested between preparation and use. for the same reasons of hydration and solidifying the fats, and also for relaxing the gluten development when using higher gluten flours than one uses for cookies.

another variable: it is also better to have enough sheet pans, or enough time, to put each new batch of raw cookies onto a cold sheet pan. if your tests were happening one after another in a warm kitchen on warm pans, this was also a factor of the spread rates of the different amounts of flour.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a newbie to cooking and just thankful that i am learning a lot in this thread Big smile
Shannon78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

For a long time, I was looking for this recipe, and finally, I found it on your website.
I'm going to test it and get you back for feedback =)

Shannon Lege
jvanderh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

Thank you so much! I bake exclusively by weight, and I could tell mine weren't coming out quite right. I had the flour at 160 and the brown sugar at 75.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: