Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Soft Boiled Eggs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
username

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Cracked Eggs Reply with quote

For those of you getting cracked eggs, here's what I usually do: I lower the egg into the boiling water using a spoon only halfway (half the egg out of the water) for about 5 seconds until it begins to sweat, then submerge it completely ... do not let it drop to the bottom, however, but lower it with the spoon. Yes, it's more of a pain, almost guaranteed to work.

As an added precaution, I also put 1 tbsp of salt in the water to prevent major leakages if they do crack.
Mjames

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago a friend's mother said her trick to soft-boiling her eggs was to bring to boil and then take off heat and in the time it took her to toast 2 slices of rye bread in her toaster (once on medium toast, flip the slices and re-toast) was a perfect soft boil.
Felix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: soft boiled egg Reply with quote

I tried it just the way it was explained in the article above, timing and everything to a tee and the egg came out just as indicated. Bravo! I also noted the one gentlemen talking about steaming his eggs, this I will have to test as well, sounds interesting!
CuDenny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: CuDenny Reply with quote

I have always used large eggs put in a pan with 1/2 to 1 inch of water covering and started with cold eggs and cold water. With the heat on high I would bring this to a boil. I would then remove from the heat or put the heat to the lowest setting and cover with the lid. I would then wait 3 minutes before dumping the water and flushing the eggs in cold tap water for maybe 20 seconds or until they were barely warm to touch. The insides are still quite warm. I am using Jumbo eggs today and was hoping to find a recommended time for them. I will try an additional 30 seconds for them for my first try.
Frank in NYC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Soft Boiled Eggs Recipe Reply with quote

Thank you for your trial and error! I followed your recipe exactly, and made perfect, soft-boiled eggs.

Frank in NYC Smile
SunyFreebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: soft boiled eggs Reply with quote

stmoore3 wrote:
In my experience I have found that you all are taking the hard way to do something simple. I have been making these since I was 12 yrs old and I am now 49, Start with cold water in the pot and insert your eggs. Place on burner on high, when the eggs and water are at a full rolling boil time them at 3 and a 1/2 min then take the pot and run cold tap water over them for 1 min. Take an eggin the palm of your hand and a butter knife, with one sharp blow to the side of the egg crack it in half and use the knife to run around the edge of the shell to release the egg, very simple and no cracked shells Smile

Hello ya'll. I sat down for "a minute" to see what others said about the soft boiled egg & found this fascinating site!! Fifteen minutes later, I was still reading. Everything is interesting & informative. I copied the above, because it is exactly like my story, except add bout a dozen years to the age! My mother always cooked soft boiled eggs this way, thus so do I. Sometimes they are a bit less or more done -- all the variables, ya know.

I tried the dropping cold eggs into boiling water & steaming, only I left for 6 minutes, as I like a really soft (almost raw) egg. Worked just as well as the "old fashioned" way, but I found the ice water just an unnecessary step which, for me, cooled the eggs off a bit too much vs running cold water.

I love this site & will check out much more. Thanks! By the way, I am at sea level!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely that for a "soft boiled egg" the ice water is not necessary.

a prolonged dip in ice water does work well for cleanly peeling hard boiled eggs - but

soft boiled - whack / open / scoop out - what's to peel?
Margaret L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Prevent Soft-boiled eggs from cracking Reply with quote

You can prevent soft-boiled eggs from cracking as you boil them by piercing the shell of the wide end of the egg... There is an instrument for that: an egg pricker or egg piercer... although a pin or a needle or the tip of a paring knife should do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: eggs Reply with quote

There was some mention of poached eggs, I have a suggestion. If you crack the egg in a strainer and let the thin liquid drain, you will reduce the amount of floating spider webs to deal with.
Have you ever tried steaming eggs?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thick/thin albumen isn't the issue - the stringy stuff is the chalaza.

see:
https://www.scienceofcooking.com/eggs/anatomy-of-a-chicken-egg.html
jimmy_iaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Shelling boiled eggs Reply with quote

1. I would think that eggs from the fridge when immersed in boiling water would crack the shells most of the time.
2. Adding salt to the water beforehand would make the eggs self-sealing in case of the above event.
3. Releasing the air by drilling a hole on the base of the egg beforehand gives it a nicer shape
4. Cooling the pan under tap water immediately is good. I find that swirling the eggs against the walls of the pan afterwards works well in uniformly cracking the shells, making it easier to peel them off.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been putting eggs straight from the fridge into boiling water for decades without issues.

the thermal shock does not crack egg shells, however an egg that has suffered handling damage can have a per-existing crack - if the air sac on the big end is not vented, the internal pressure of the egg heating up will cause (typically) the white to spurt out.

with the electronics and material handling available today, eggs that have been machine washed, inspected and packed seldom have cracks. in the old days of 'blind' mechanical handling and human visual inspections, cracks were more frequent.

note that not all places on the globe have that kind of equipment - so the situation will vary by area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: