Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsmit86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Roast Prep Reply with quote

I started prep this morning:

11 lb. Dry aged prime 5 rib roast. Out of fridge at 6AM.

I then slivered the garlic and made my mixture of Kosher Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Onion Powder and Sazon seasoning. Put slits with garlic in about 3/4 of the roast. (Left a bit with none for my wife). Then I coated with a bit of Olive Oil, and rubbed with the salt mixture:

The roast had come up to about 41 degrees F by 7:30. It will rest covered until about 11:30 or so when I put it in the 200 F oven.

jsmit86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: In the oven 200F at Noon Reply with quote

In the oven

jsmit86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Dinner! Reply with quote

After 4 Hours and 20 Minutes, the roast was at 124 F.
Pulled and rested for about 40 minutes while we finished other foods, and cranked the oven up to 550 F.
Put the roast back in for about 6 minutes at 550 F, and moved to cutting board.

And here is the final result with Au Jus, Whipped Cream Horseradish, Hash Brown Casserole, and Fresh baked rolls.

Also - some grilled chicken breast for the non-beef eaters.

[/quote]
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done!
JustinTyme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Bones Do NOT add flavor!! Reply with quote

Bones do not add flavor to meat. They can’t. It’s a myth. There is no process of magical flavor molecules traveling from the bone marrow to the center of the roast. Everyone that knows very little about the factual science of cooking meat are the same people buying those cowboy-tomahawk steaks with the huge bones- they have no idea what they’re doing. There is absolutely no flavor being transferred from the bone to the meat during any type if roasting or grilling. Period! I laugh when I see the prices of these ‘specially cut’ tomahawk steaks knowing that someone was is paying premium prices for the huge piece of inedible bone attached to an already expensive cut of meat.
Oh, the people selling it (butchers, store owners) are laughing even harder; just not in your face. There are plenty of knowledgeable people presenting intelligent information on websites regarding the many aspects of what happens when applying heat to meat.
The thin layer of meat closest to the bone cooks slightly differently due to how heat is transferred through that bone versus how it’s transferred to the rest if the roast or steak. THIS is what affects the doneness and tenderness of that thin layer of meat nearest the bone - but not the flavor.
Sammysimon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

I have been using your recipe every year for 10+ years! I log in every Christmas for instructions and my prime rib is always perfect! I suppose I should print the recipe at some point. If you were to take this down, I wouldn't know what to do, LOL. Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Lassion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg, I can smell it. I'm definitely going to try your recipe because it sounds delicious.
jsmit86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Same method in a new home Reply with quote

We moved from Elgin, IL (Chicago) to the Houston Metro area in 2020.
I had been purchasing my roasts from Ream's meat market in Elburn IL, and I wanted to make sure that I could get decent meat locally.

I found a local shop, Majkszak's Meat Market in Conroe, TX. I did a roast from there in 2020, cooking it using the same method, but on the pellet smoker before searing in the oven. It was great, but our feast was somewhat dampened by Covid.

Last year was the first time in many years that we did not do a prime rib. My wife had lingering tasted issues after Covid, so we made other dishes.

This year she decided to try prime rib again, so I picked up a 7 lb prime from Majkszak's Meat Market. I will cook it on Christmas day, probably in the oven since we are in a cold snap with temps in the teens.

I am hoping that the gas oven will still deliver a good result vs. the electric oven I've used in the past. They tend to have more stable temperature controls.
jsmit86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Prime Rib today Reply with quote

It's still cold here, but it will be up to the 40's today, so I will use the Traeger before a final sear in the oven.
Margy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: feedbaack on the low-temp-long-roast method for prime rib Reply with quote

I was a guest this Christmas day with friends who roasted their large prime rib rolled roast using a method very similar to yours, drawn from J. Kenji Alt-Lopez's "The Food Lab" book. They moved the roast straight from the fridge to a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven, cooked it for more than six hours, then cooked at much higher temp, very briefly. It was delicious! But after we returned home my stomach began to rebel, and within a couple of hours I had thrown up four times. That seems to have finished whatever had affected me, BUT given the innocuous rest of the menu, I am wondering if anyone else has ever reported this sort of reaction to consuming beef cooked by this slow method. I would be very interested to know if you have ever received similar feedback from folks who used this method.
Thank you!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the meat is not a likely source of your illness. whole muscle cuts (as opposed to 'ground beef') are considered "sterile inside" with any contamination happening on the surface. all the usual&customary 'food poisoning' bad guys are killed at temps below 200'F.

egg dishes - potato salad / deviled eggs / custards, raw salad components .... are a more typical source.
mrssharron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Best Recipe Reply with quote

I use this recipe every year. The roast is always perfect. Thank you!
CareyL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Best Recipe Reply with quote Delete this post

I have used this as a reference to cook my standing rib roast every year and realized I have never commented and thanked the OP. Great job and instructions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: