Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Pecan Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SC baker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Southern pecan cake/pie Reply with quote

On October 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Shirl (guest) said...
Subject: Pecan Pie
When I saw you substituted maple syrup for the Karo syrup, I needed to try this recipe. We got a gift of dark syrup and dh loves the light variety - so this is a great way to use some of it this Saturday. I'll let you know.

A long time ago, we were traveling thru Georgia and had lunch. I ordered a piece of pecan pie and it was SO GOOD I never forgot it. The center of the pie was like a sponge, moist and cake-like (sort of), and not tooth-ache sweet - it was not sticky or gooey. Does anyone have any idea about that?

Shirl, follow your favorite recipe but be for adding pecans mix 2 cups all purpose flour then arrange pecans on top bake 350 or tooth pick comes out clean
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>The center of the pie was like a sponge, moist and cake-like (sort of), and not tooth-ache sweet - it was not sticky or gooey. Does anyone have any idea about that?

the gooeyest pie is the sugar-egg 'only' mix.
("sugar" could Karo, honey, molasses, maple syrup - whatever - altho the water content will add/subtract from the goo viscosity.)

"mostly egg" produces the custard effect.

the spongy filling relies on egg and flour beaten together with the sugar mix.

it's the relationship/proportions that count - so if you have a recipe you like, you can modify on the fly with (for example) some added flour for a more spongier filling. my experience: you must first beat the eggs, then incorporate by whisking/beating the flour into the egg mixture to make a good sponge. just stirring the flour into a bowl of eggs makes for a dense goo.....
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert, that reminds me of a book I think Michael Chu himself recommended:

Ratio: The Simple Codes behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking
Maple yum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Pecan pie Reply with quote

I am happy to see folks still are interested in this recipe and modifications. That's tinkering- the best engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Toast Pecans in Microwave. Reply with quote Delete this post

Pecans go from toasted to burned in about 60 seconds in an oven. Try using a microwave to toast them (I know, WHAT?). It works! Use a glass bowl, microwave for 60 seconds, toss, repeat until fragrant and browned. (as it gets near the end, only go for 30 seconds to avoid burning). Toss them on silpat or parchment or a cutting board and the will cool and crisp up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: