Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweet Corn Casserole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking for Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Sweet Corn Casserole Reply with quote

backstory: this dish always appeared at family fest gatherings - Thanksgiving/Christmas.... I have seen several dishes by this name, but they are not the same. with all the recipe cards&notes from my grandmother, my great aunt, my aunt and my mother , , , it has been a trick to combine&compare and come up with 'the original of memory'

the pix is one half the recipe given - i.e. down-sized for two people.
I did however use two eggs, not 1.5. bake time was about 50 minutes - in this 9x9 pan, it is a tad on the thin side - I'll use a smaller dish next time.

full recipe:

combine:
400g creamed corn
300g corn kernels, drained - use fresh if available!
4 tablespoons AP flour
3 large eggs
0. 5 tsp salt
100 g granulated white sugar
(note: we're not sweet tooths; I use 70g)

60g melted butter
(if your doctor is hounding you on chloesterol,,,, 50 g olive oil)

5 fluid ounces condensed milk
5 fluid ounces (1% to whole) milk

combine and mix.
bake at (preheated) 400'F=205'C for 55-70 minutes depending on degree of browning desired. the full sugar amount will brown more readily - check and adjust temps/time at 45 minutes.

notes:
corn: we're in the mid-Atlantic east coast corn season. when sweet corn - our choice "bicolor" is at it's peak -

the mixture should be a slush. if it watery, add 2-3 Tbsp of instant mashed potato.

looks like:
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing this recipe as I'm actively looking for new recipes for this coming holidays!
SmartShabby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be a side hustle also for those who want to earn something. Great recipe, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking for Two All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum