Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Machines for engineers. What kind do you use and why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
claudineskiles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Machines for engineers. What kind do you use and why? Reply with quote

Does anyone have something meaningful to say about a choice of stand-mixers. I’m already looking around for a couple of weeks, but find it hard to make up my mind. What do I want to do with it? Basically as much as possible, but for sure making dough for baking bread in my (still to be build) wood burning oven.

I’ve looked at Kitchen-Aid and Kenwood (English) and some food processors like MagiMix. Anyone care to share his/her thoughts and/or experience?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for bread dough, in the KA line you'll want a lift bowl model with either the 5 qt or 6 qt bowl. the tilt head models don't do well with heavier doughs.
Dadooze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bosch Universal Mixer Plus as well as most of the available attachments. I prefer it to my previous stand mixer (sunbeam mixmaster)
It is powerful and versatile.

Pros.
Large Bowl - great for bigger jobs
Plenty of Power 800W Americas 1000W UK I'm in Canada and I have plenty of torque with the 800W machine.
Lots of attachments. meat grinder, sausage maker, blender, pasta machine, etc, etc
Cons
Large Bowl it is too large for smaller jobs such as making a single two layer 9 inch Victoria sponge
Hard to store
Expensive let me repeat that
Expensive

I don't feel that it was not worth the money but after you buy the machine you will want the rest of the capabilities and end up spending the same again and more. Just so you know. ;-)
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bosch MUM6N10UC Universal Plus Stand Mixer is good to use because the mixer motor is strong.
SmartShabby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the depreciation term of your mixer based on your usage? I worry that it may not last long and will just be wasting money on buying.
jazwoslp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing the right stand mixer for your needs, especially for bread dough, requires considering several factors. Here are some insights and comparisons between the brands you're considering:

KitchenAid:
Pros: KitchenAid mixers are renowned for their durability and wide range of attachments. They're particularly good for bread dough due to their powerful motors and robust build.
Cons: They can be pricey, and some models might be heavier or bulkier, which might be a consideration if kitchen space is limited.

Kenwood:
Pros: Kenwood mixers often come with a variety of attachments and have a reputation for being very versatile. They're also known for their strong motors, which is essential for kneading bread dough.
Cons: The design might not be as user-friendly as KitchenAid, and some find the attachments and bowls less intuitive to fit.

Magimix (Food Processor):
Pros: Magimix food processors are excellent for a variety of kitchen tasks and can handle dough making. They're often more compact than stand mixers.
Cons: While capable, they might not be as effective as a dedicated stand mixer for heavy, frequent bread dough mixing.

Key Considerations:

Motor Power: Essential for bread dough. Look for a mixer with a higher wattage motor.
Capacity: Consider the bowl size. If you plan to bake large batches of bread, a larger bowl will be necessary.
Attachments: Ensure it comes with a dough hook and other attachments you may need.
Durability: Read reviews about the build quality and longevity, especially under frequent use.
Ease of Use and Cleaning: Some mixers are more user-friendly and easier to clean than others.
Warranty and Customer Service: Check the warranty period and reputation of the company for customer service.

It's also worthwhile to read online reviews and perhaps watch demonstration videos to get a better feel for how each model performs. Remember, a good stand mixer is an investment, so choosing one that fits your specific needs, even if it's a bit more expensive, can be worthwhile in the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum