Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Challenges of Taste Buds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Challenges of Taste Buds Reply with quote

I don't have a good taste buds and it sucks. This is the biggest challenge I'm facing whenever I cook. Funny, I love cooking even though cooking doesn't like me. Can you guys give me tips on how to have a good taste buds. Also, I'm worried that my Boyfriend would look for another because I can't give him a good appetite.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very broad problem with very few simple answers.

if you have never had the opportunity to travel to other cultures and explore different foods, same stuff prepared differently, totally different spices/herbs/seasonings . . . you're kinda' stuck in a one place taste rut. your taste buds have gone numb from boredom.....

everything tastes the same because everyone makes it the same.

becoming more adventurous in your eating . . . okay, good idea....what opportunities do you have to do that? in a big city you may have lots of 'non-resident' type restaurants etc. in a small rural town, that's not likely to be the case.

in your own cooking - the internet has near infinite recipes for pretty much anything. billions of videos to see/learn the techniques . . .
the problem will be obtaining spices & seasonings 'as called for' in the dish. mail-order to the rescue!

I've been fortunate to have widely traveled on business, living in a couple countries - this really opens your mind and your tastings. but not everyone can do that.

just jump in and start the grand experiments!
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I can be as adventurous like you when it comes to eating. Maybe, I'll start by eating spicy foods-Asian cuisines to refresh my taste buds. Whose YT channels would you recommend to follow?
SmartShabby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could start by familiarizing your palette with basic taste first then explore with other herbs, spices, and then with the rest of the food. Enhancing our palette is a big step in cooking very delicious food. Big smile
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am feeling frustrated with my tastebuds, with my emotions towards food and cooking and most especially I feel so insecure that I cant even cook well for my partner. I am scared I might lose him because of this. ;(

Is talking to a counselor ease my stress and frustration? Do you happen to talk to one in your life? Well, I am just thinking talking to one might give a bit of motivation to believe in myself that I can? ;(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum