Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Marshmallows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking to dip marshamallows in chocolate but to make Chocolate flavored marshmallows... any techniques?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: corn syrup

If you can't get corn syrup at your local supermarket (the most popular brand is Karo in the United States), then you'll need to mention your location and see if someone can help out.
moynihan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: thanks so much Reply with quote

i have been looking for a marshmallow recipe for a long time and i cant beleave i found it iam happy thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much i love this site thanks
Dea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: corn syrup Reply with quote

does anyone know and Italian product that is corn syrup/Karo available in Italy?
Mallow Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: storing marshmallows Reply with quote

I just made marshmallows for a shower on Saturday. How should I store them?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: storing marshmallows Reply with quote

You should be able to store marshmallows in an air tight container at room temperature for at least a few weeks. They might harden a little due to moisture loss though.
Mallow Girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Storing marshmallows Reply with quote

Thank you! After I made them I got nervous about if they would last. I made them pale pink and the tops and bottoms have coconut! It is a baby shower and they gal is having a girl. They came out great and I hope I don't eat them all by Saturday!! Thanks again!!!
Crazy4candy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: colored marshmallows Reply with quote

How can you make marshmallows with a colored center? In Mexico you can find all kinds of them, pink, orange, blue, white w/pink,blue and yellow center, cov ered w/coconut, colored sugar and in different flavors sometimes sourly disturbing, but in the US i can only find them in white. So i'd like to make my own. I'll appreciate your input. Thanks so much.
annee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: marshmallows Reply with quote

To someone who commented about being online at 5:03am - You must be a morning person! My best hours for accomplishing stuff: 11pm-5am. Deepest-sleep hours: 6am-11am. Unfortunately, I can't accommodate the rest of my life to my sleep preferences.

To whoever asked about substituting brown sugar + water for corn syrup - You'll be disappointed in the flavor.

To lori h - Chill the bowls and beaters for whipping cream so the butterfat stays firm. Room temperature for beating eggwhites, and the eggwhites should be at room temp, too. The proteins will expand easier than when cold. When you beat the air in, the proteins become a little wall around each air bubble. You want the proteins to expand so more air bubbles can be encompassed. Also, start the beating at a low speed, so the air bubbles will be small; later in the process you can increase the speed to build up the mass to maximal volume. If you start out beating at high speed, the protein-surrounded air bubbles tend to be large, and a mass of large air bubbles is more likely to collapse than a mass of small air bubbles because each large air bubble has less structural support than a small air bubble does.

To Lazy - It's so nice to hear that someone else remembers the original Campfire marshmallows! Campfire held out for about three years before joining the Jet Puffed generation. Financial reasons, I'm sure, dictated the change; when there's more air and less substance, you can make more marshmallows for less money. I never have figured out why people like those fluffy flavorless puff balls. I moved to Boston and discovered Sunshine marshmallows, which were actually even slightly better than the original Campfire. Unfortunately, these disappeared in 1972 or 1973. I've been reading recipes from other websites for the past hour. I'm so happy to read that you think the marshmallows made from this recipe are very like the Campfire marshmallows. Thank you for reporting that!
Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Splattering help Reply with quote

I saw a Food Network guy making marshmallows and he put a piece of plastic food wrap around the top of the mixer and bowl to avoid the hot liquid flying out. With that in place, you can whip away at high speed without the worry. I plan to try your recipe which looks terrific. I hope to dip small squares in chocolate. I may leave some out to get rubbery - to me, there's nothing better than a rubbery Peep after it's sat in an Easter basket too long!!
anonymus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: corn syrup substitute Reply with quote

My favorite substitute for corn syrup is honey. Might mess up the color though.
anita

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: marshmallows Reply with quote

Wink well so far, so good. They look like the pictures, and the kids have licked the spoon and are a total sticky mess. Tastes yum too! Time, of course will tell. Tomorrow will be the true test. Can't wait!
nbenami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for the great recipe. Made this last night and the marshmallows came out great. Gave myself a bit of a sugar high...actually.
Duchess Snow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Fluff Reply with quote

Hey,
Mine came out too dense. Any ideas what I did wrong. I gave it eight minutes in the mixer on high and it had appeared to have stopped increasing in volume, but then it seemed like it fell after I turned the mixer off. Weird huh.

D
Georgette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: marshmallow questions and answers Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
1. Regarding the question about dense marshmallows: I'm wondering if perhaps you cooked the sugar to above 250? I know that taffy & toffee use higher temps. (If the recipe included egg whites, I'd say that you might have gotten some fat mixed in but this recipe doesn't include them.)
2. For interest, I tried them without any corn syrup - turned out nicely except that they do continue to harden as days go by - is that due to crystals - which no matter how careful you are when cooking, I imagine are bound to form from the splatter when you mix. Hey, I wonder if that idea of covering the bowl with plastic wrap while mixing might have a dual benefit - melt down the crystals???
3. OK, a question for the scientists: I keep trying to sort of squirt this out of a plastic bag to shape the equivalent of meringue "kisses". But, due to the marshmallow nature, it really doesn't "break" off like meringue would. Any ideas or am I defying the point of the marshmallows in trying to get it thinner? Hmmm, I think I'll go make a batch with egg whites folded in and I'll tell you if that makes a difference - g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: