Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Clarified Butter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Curry leaves Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I just put up a blog post about curry leaves and the origin of the "curry powder" spice blend. The short story: curry leaves are from the Murraya koenigii tree, known as kari-pak in Tamil. according to the Historical Dictionary of Indian Food, by Achaya. He says that curry is "[f]rom the Tamil word kari, a term for black pepper...the term originally denoted any spiced dish that accompanied south Indian food, and was first so referred to...as early as in AD 1502"

The full post is here

Marc
Berkeley, CA
Batman Svejk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Restaurant trick for making clarified butter quickly Reply with quote

I used to work in a restaurant, and there I learned a trick for making clarified butter quickly. Melt your butter in the microwave in a square container, let it settle a bit, and skim the top. Then pour the fat off the top over one of the flat sides.

This allows you to pour more fat off before you start to pour milk solids as well. You'll still have to spoon some off, throw some out, or do some straining, but if you're in a hurry and you're willing to waste a little fat (as is nearly always the case in a restaurant setting) this is a great trick.
km

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Nutritional change? Reply with quote

Hi all -

Hopefully this isn't a silly newbie question: How does clarifying the butter change it's nutritional value?
octopod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't souring the milk correspond more-or-less exactly with culturing of milk traditionally done for butter in Western cuisine? If so, you could duplicate the effect by getting "cultured butter" and making your ghee of that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: to clarify butter Reply with quote

I melt a large quantity of butter in the microwave oven in a wide utensil. I then place it overnight in the refrigerator. The next day, I lift off the solidfied fat and pour the milky liquid in something else i.e. string beans, rice pudding... By using butter that is cultured, such as French (delicious) then the clarified butter is richer tasting. Beurre noisette is browned butter, which is delicious but not clarified. Claudia
imenendez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Please Reply with quote

somebody write in spanish, this proceed, i donīt understand everything.
Thank you!!
john

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: affective alternative method Reply with quote

I have always had a great deal of success simply melting butter in a coffee cup in a microwave, and then spilling off the clarified portion through a tablespoon resting against the inside of the cup. The time in the microwave is only a few seconds, and the qty produced is usually sufficient for whatever recipe you're working on.

This is a perfect alternative to no-stick "Pam" or whatever. Works wonders for omelets etc.

Someone asked about Ghee...I believe the difference is that ghee is heated to a point of fragrance sometime after melting but before caramelization. I think it's heated more. We should ask our Indian friends.
Double boiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to burn the butter - can I make this in a double boiler (sp?) instead? Does it need to burn?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it in a double boiler. Some people like the taste of lightly heated Ghee or clarified butter and some like the flavor of butter that has been heated (cooked) to a higher temperature before filtering.
sam_thorno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarified butter and ghee are the same thing, judt diff names
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_thorno wrote:
clarified butter and ghee are the same thing, judt diff names

No, they aren't. Guest John is correct about what he said. Ghee is clarified butter that has been further heated and cooked until it has a more nutty flavor and is slightly darker in color.
Watt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyprotein is correct.
Ghee uses the old 'Maillard reaction' to produce flavours from the milk proteins and lactose in the butter. The oil-liking flavours (nutty/roasted) are then extracted into the fat that remains to form the flavoured ghee.

just thoughts
Watt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Does making ghee "burn off" cholesterol? Reply with quote

I know that sounds like an odd question. But having worked as a chef for over 20 years, I was recently surprized when I found an entry in an ayurvedic book that describes the slow process of making ghee (as described above). It then goes on to claim that ayurvedic grand poobahs believe that process burns off the cholesterol. It sounds odd to me, and I thought I would ask you guys for clarification.

Thanks,
Laurie
Memphis Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Clarified Butter, the Alton Brown way Reply with quote

I am looking for the Alton Brown method for clarifying butter. Normal heating process, but he mentions something about allowing it to cool in the fridge overnight and I swear he mentioned something about adding water so everything separates. He had it in a bowl and basically said that the hockey puck was a nice way to have it stored for ease of use. Now I found the ghee recipe, but it's not it. There's a cooling step. Or am I just way off base here?

Oh and one more thing, how to you make lemon butter without breaking the consistency?

Thanks all!
Memphis Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Clarified Butter, the Alton Brown way Reply with quote

FOUND IT.

Melt a pound of butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat and slowly cook until the bubbling ceases and the liquid turns clear, 30-40 minutes.

Strain and cool, being sure to leave any solids in the bottom of the pan.

Or, once the butter has cleared, remove from heat and add two inches of hot tap water. Since it's less dense than water, the now clarified butter will float to the top.

And in a few hours in the refrigerator will solidify it into a big yellow Frisbee that you can lift out and use. Use it immediately or wrap in wax paper and refrigerate or add foil and freeze it for up to 2 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: