Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gobble up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Gobble up! Reply with quote

The turkey story:

Due to mixup with Safeway's delivery service I ended up with 2 turkeys amounting to about ~35 lbs.
Since they screwed up not once, but twice, I ended up owing them nothing.

Wanted to give the big one, 24 lbs,. to a food bank, but they wanted ME to deliver it. To h3ll with that...

SO I've been roasting and carving and dissecting, dismembering and slicing and dicing. Only thing left are julienne fries!

Quite a bit has gone into the pressure cooker and canned, or 'put up' as they say.
Question: what happens to a roux based gravy after it's been canned?

Second, and more important question:
I'd forgotten how well I carved, and ended up with some beautiful slices of breast. So many, in fact, I want to freeze them after vacuum-sealing them.
Will that affect the texture once they are defrosted?

Second to second query:
Where can I get some polyethylene sheets to separate thing I vacuum seal?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeesh. you have to deliver, may as well eat it for them while you're at it . . .

a roux can "break" when frozen/reheated - it depends on the flour/fat ratio - a lot of fat is more likely to break. regrets I don't know what that "number" is...

pretty much all meat 'suffers' from freezing - the cells rupture and it gets a bit mooshy. some 'quality' loss will be there but there are few options. one trick is to freeze it quickly as possible - single layer slices on wax paper on a sheet pan / shallow (whatever) in the freezer. collect up the frozen 'chips' after 24 hrs, seal and store....

for poly separators - why not just cut up some plastic bags? you could use them as for the freezer pan liner pre long term storage - a two'fer
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>a roux can "break" when frozen/reheated - it depends on the flour/fat ratio - a lot of fat is more likely to break<<

I've seen that before. We'll just have to find out what happens. From memory, it seems to me that heating slowly, with a LOT of stirring, seems to help; as is adding flour/arrowroot (I cheat, I know!) seems to help.

I did use wax paper, but I'm afraid the slices will still suffer.
They do when I slice I top-round in the same manner and freeze it -- on a cookie sheet, like you mentioned.

Jim
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use cut plastic bags for a portioned turkey casserole and they worked out great. Two to a bag, take one out, re-vacuum, and when you use the second one the vacuum bag can get reused.

LOL, I was too stupid to realize that's what that huge role of Freezer paper I have would have been good for.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure was a lot of turkey, a year ago. I probably would have invited friends and family over for another meal, forced them to take doggy bags home. Man, that sure was a lot of turkey.

Biggles
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look who popped up!
pull up a fork a sit a spell.
- is meathenge dead? Mad Hunky still hanging around?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum