Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pressure Cooker...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Pressure Cooker... Reply with quote

Was looking at slow cookers. (crock pots) ... Then saw the so called all inclusive cookers. Also found Pressure Cookers.
What I saw on Pressure Cookers, sold me. I had to give one a try. This is one that is set on the stove. Isn't an electronic gizmo, plug in, toy.
I always wondered how professional cooks could get some of this stuff out to the table in a timely manner. Now I know. Pressure Cookers.

I'll post on my experiences.
Open to alternative views.
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should mention the Pressure Cooker I bought.
It's a Fagor Duo 8 quart stainless steel pressure cooker with steamer basket.
I do admit. I got a deal on this at Amazon. I think the vendor has been swamped by purchases of the all in one plug in cookers? This type isn't very popular anymore?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stovetop pressure cookers have always fluctuated in price but I got curious and took a look and you're right - this year the Fagor Duo 8 qt. has dropped to $35 three times - that's a huge savings! Stovetop pressure cookers are pretty awesome (especially when I had a baby and had to cook everything to mush to puree - it's such a time saver), but it's unlikely they are being used in a professional restaurant kitchen. Items that take a long time to cook are often partially cooked and ready to be finished and plated (like risotto, braises, etc). Pressure cookers do find their way into high end haute cuisine as there are flavors and techniques that can be used that aren't available without using it as a tool, but your typical non prix fixe menu restaurant probably won't use them because of flexibility (it takes a couple minutes to pressurize and depressurize and can really break up the flow in a kitchen).
Ronaple

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears somebody tried to pull fraud on me. Got an email saying it was delivered today. To NY. Not SD. I started looking. All kinds of info doesn't match up. Seller's email doesn't work. I talked with Amazon. They said not to worry. My credit card info and all is safe. Please wait a couple days. Give this person a chance to reply.
I checked back on this pressure cooker. There were two sellers in the same state offering this at that price. I think you may have seen that. Both are gone now. Best price is double that for one with cosmetic damage.
I wrote Amazon back. Explained. They said they are looking into possible fraud. Still want me to wait two days for a possible reply.

I honestly am not hoping on much of a result. So?
I could get a three piece set for just under $100 from Amazon.
I could get the same for double what I paid with cosmetic defects.
At these prices... I could go for one of those all in one plug in gizmos. I'm not crazy about that. But could?
Or I could wait for one of these at around $35? I kinda like that?
What does anyone think?
Ronaple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geesh.... I can buy one of those Insta Pot's cheaper than the Pressure Cooker I want.
I really don't know? The Insta Pot just seems too 'swift' and inexpensive (cheap?). Am I just fooling myself?

I'm still confident I will receive no reply from the seller of my Pressure Cooker by tomorrow. Being agreeable with Amazon....so...
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deal on the 8qt went bad. Amazon is taking care of it.

I decided on a 6qt Fabor Duo. It's $60.

On youtube. America's Test Kitchen has the opinion on those electric cookers are worth what you pay. That's why the stove top pressure cookers cost what they do. They're quality. I figured, with an electric cooker. I'd just be buying more of a toy, than a serious kitchen utensil.

I really am not 'wanting' with this stuff. Just things I need. I'm going to be making enough mistakes of my own. Don't need to be fooling around with something that is making mistakes for me.
Ronaple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received the 6 qt Pressure Cooker. Am very happy with it. It is heavier than I expected. It is quality.
I'm rather glad I didn't get an 8 quart. This one is plenty big for me.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for the update. Got any favorite pressure cooker recipes yet?
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee.... I'm not at the point of having any favorite recipes for anything yet. I'm just learning basics. Like trying to steam veggies in this. Or do a baked potato in it.
I'll learn.
enginator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure Cooker... Reply with quote

Ronaple wrote:

Was looking at slow cookers. (crock pots) ... Then saw the so called all inclusive cookers. Also found Pressure Cookers.

Just saw this "hi-tec" pressure cooker - the Instant Pot IP-Smart - I found this cooker really interesting ! Price seems to be fair, and the features of this cooker are pretty good.
Anybody has purchased this cooker ? Please any comments / feedback.
Thank you.
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much ruled against any of the plug in Instant Pot types. They just seem like more of a toy. When a basic pressure cooker is selling for the same, or more. There must be a reason.

I have gotten into basic cooking with my pressure cooker. I've been doing so much. Finally got frustrated, looked in the cookbook that came with it. Started doing potatoes. Grabbing stuff from my seasonings cupboard. Gee.. this might taste good? Following the basics of the recipe. This stuff is actually turning out not bad at all. And it's quick! I like that I can have finished potatoes in 15 minutes...start to finish (eating). Not like waiting an hour for a potato to cook. So I'm progressing, from the ground up. I really like this thing. It satisfies my lack of patience in waiting for something to eat.
Now to find the time to get into better recipes. Practices.
I think this is a smart purchase. Even a crock pot. Spend most of that time setting the thing up. So? I can just do it quick with this.
Jasonpa88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronaple wrote:
I pretty much ruled against any of the plug in Instant Pot types. They just seem like more of a toy. When a basic pressure cooker is selling for the same, or more. There must be a reason.

I have gotten into basic cooking with my pressure cooker. I've been doing so much. Finally got frustrated, looked in the cookbook that came with it. Started doing potatoes. Grabbing stuff from my seasonings cupboard. Gee.. this might taste good? Following the basics of the recipe. This stuff is actually turning out not bad at all. And it's quick! I like that I can have finished potatoes in 15 minutes...start to finish (eating). Not like waiting an hour for a potato to cook. So I'm progressing, from the ground up. I really like this thing. It satisfies my lack of patience in waiting for something to eat.
Now to find the time to get into better recipes. Practices.
I think this is a smart purchase. Even a crock pot. Spend most of that time setting the thing up. So? I can just do it quick with this.

Congrat it is a great choice because it’s time to do other things than cook, also you can save more time and energy when you enjoy cooking your recipes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum