Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to write recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PicnicMaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: How to write recipes Reply with quote

As this is a discussion forum, I thought I'd just vent some frustrations with how recipes are written.

I consider myself a "good amateur" cook and have been cooking for a good number of years. I'm constantly on the internet and in magazines looking for new idea or recipes.

I get frustrated when cooks, even "pros" leave out important details like "a little minced garlic" (how much is a little?) or "simmer" (for how long?) or "sear a steak on both sides in a very hot pan"...how hot ? how long ? You don't sear a 1 inch steak the same time as a much thicker piece of meat.

Welcome any comments if you share my frustration or disagree.

Thanks
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some recipes are indeed poorly written - but the objections you raised are actually part of knowing how to cook. you don't do it "by the numbers" - there's too many variables.

a little garlic - well, how about "three cloves of garlic" then?
how big are your cloves? does anybody at the table detest garlic?
the first time through a new dish I stick pretty dang close to the recipe -

and more than once it's been too much garlic or too much salt or too much sugar.
an experienced cook has a feel for how much seasoning is "to taste" for them, the pot quantity, etc. example: I hate sage - I leave it out - period - just don't go there....don't care how much is called for in the dish....

a simmer direction should include time or condition. 'until tender' etc. - but I can imagine there's cases where the goal of the simmer is obvious.

"You don't sear a 1 inch steak the same time as a much thicker piece of meat. " well, perhaps one does. are you searing the meat or cooking it to done? a thin cut might well be near done by the time you get a medium sear on both sides . . . thicker cuts you get the color/crust/sear and then finish cook it. the time to sear a thin steak and a 3 inch thick steak is actually pretty close. a thin cut you've seasoned and left on the counter for an hour is likely done just from searing, a thick cut seasoned and left out, no. and straight from the fridge is another set of timings . . . if they cited the hot pan temperature, how would you measure it? and how many other kitchens could measure it?

a whole lotta' cooking is technique - and "technique" is different discipline than "recipe" and a whole lotta' home cooks don't really understand what some recipe terms and some cooking techniques really are. they're working from inherited knowledge - and genes can play tricks on you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum