Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eggplant! Mmmmmmmmmm...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktexp2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Eggplant! Mmmmmmmmmm... Reply with quote

My mom had a huge garden this past summer. She grew a lot of everything! Corn, peppers, tomatoes (a ridiculous quantity of those), lettuce, melons of all kinds cucumbers, and eggplant. I love eggplant, and so does she! We have tons of it now! So much, that we don't know what to do with it all. Besides the obvious Eggplant Parmigiana, which I just had a plate of (the best I've ever had I think: home cooking + home grown = delicious), what are some other good ways to prepare eggplant? My experience with the vegetable is that is absorbs A LOT of oil for some reason. If it doesn't get enough in the cooking process, it can be quite gross. And that's no fun. Although I've stirfried it a few times, and that seems to work out ok, as long as its not overcooked.
ajaye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Eggplant Reply with quote

My method for cooking eggplant that does not contain tons of oil is to slice the eggplant, brush lightly with olive oil, and put under the broiler or on the stovetop grill until browned. That does a great job without all the excess oil.

From there, I can do many things with it, one of which, if I've sliced it lengthwise, is to lay on a little marinara sauce, a slice of mozzarella, some fresh basil and roll up a thin, cooked Italian sausage. Put in a casserole, cover with more sauce & cheese, and bake covered at 350 F for about 3o min. or until sauce starts bubbling. Remove cover and continue to slightly brown for a few more minutes.

I like this method of cooking my eggplant, since I have to watch my carb intake as I'm diabetic. With all the added ingredients, it's neither greasy or bland.
ttskipper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Eggplant Parm Pie Reply with quote

A great alternative to regular eggplant parm is to make what my family calls eggplant parm pie.
We make the fried or baked eggplant depending on your preference. Then stretch pizza dough to line a springform pan, you have to stretch it enough to be able to fold the excess over the top. We than layer the eggplant, sauce, and cheese inside the lined springform pan starting with the eggplant so that the bottom does not get soggy from the sauce. Once you have made filled the rest of the pan, pull the excess dough over the top. Bake in a 350-375 degree oven until the dough has lightly browned. Undo the pan and place the whole pie on a plate, cut like a pie and serve.

-TTSkipper
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Baba Ganoush Reply with quote

Another nice way to prepare eggplant is to make a spread called Baba Ganoush, which is good with pita bread (like hommus).
Cut the stem end off, pierce in a few places with a knife or fork and bake the whole eggplant until soft. Depending on the size it could take half hour to 45 minutes.
It'll collapse a bit. Then scoop out the inside, and put in a blender with olive oil, lemon juice, salt. I like to add tomatoes. You can add cooked chickpeas to thicken it up if you like.
Another good recipe is mousakka, which is a cassarole made with white sauce, cooked ground lamb and eggplant. Let's see if I can remember the recipe...(It's a Greek dish, and you might find better instructions if you look around)
Lets say for a 9x9 pan, you need to make 1-1/2 cup white sauce (melt butter in a pan, add flour to make a paste, and slowly add milk until it is a thick white gravy). Crumbled feta cheese can be added.
Let the sauce cool, then whisk in two eggs. Add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg to the sauce.
Saute a pound of ground lamb with onion and garlic (can probably use beef as well) til cooked.
Oil the 9x9 pan and line the bottom with eggplant strips cut long-wise that have been lightly brushed with oil (olive). I like to keep the skin on, especially if they are right from the garden. Sprinkle on some oregano. Pour in half the white sause/egg mixture. Add the cooked lamb on top, and pour the rest of the sauce on.
Bake in a 350 oven, uncovered, for about 45 mins. The top should get kind of browned, and the 'plant should be soft.
Eggplant also carmelizes nicely if you bake it on a low heat for a long time
Recipe Diva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Greek Meatballs Reply with quote

Use ground meat garlic seasoning to taste. Use your imagination and whatever you like and add paprika good amount. Add saute eggplant. make into meatballs. Bake in homemade tomato sauce. Before it is almost done top with munster cheese.

Use your imagination. What cooking is about. Trying things.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Baba Ganoush Reply with quote

Lintballoon wrote:
Another nice way to prepare eggplant is to make a spread called Baba Ganoush, which is good with pita bread (like hommus).
Cut the stem end off, pierce in a few places with a knife or fork and bake the whole eggplant until soft. Depending on the size it could take half hour to 45 minutes.

The easiest way to make Baba Ganoush is as follows:

Roast the eggplant over an open flame. I just use a stove burner. Keep turning it, hold it directly in th flame and let the skin char a bit.

Wrap the eggplant in that sticky Glad wrap stuff, twisting each end tightly.

Microwave the wrapped eggplant until it is soft and smooshy.

Cut one end off the wrapped eggplant and squeeze the insides out into your food processor. You can dunk it in ice water if it is too hot to handle.

Process with some tahini, olive oil and garlic cloves until smooth and creamy.

Enjoy! The whole process just takes a few minutes. You get the lightly smoky flavor in a fraction of the time and cleanup is a breeze.
surryhillsbilly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: My asian eggplant Reply with quote

I try to avoid all the oil too (but I do love the texture when cooked in as much oil as it wants!). I peel stripes into big eggplant and then cut into big chunks, toss in the tiniest amount of oil and roast in a hot oven for about 30mins, depends how big your chunks are. When they are soft and tender (they tend to just look dry but they are actuall squishy inside) then i cook them in this delish asian sauce:

For two big eggplant:

1 knob of ginger, finely chopped/minced
2 fat garlic cloves, smashed
1/3 cup soy
1/3 chinese cooking wine
1tbs rice vinegar
1tbs sugar
2 tbs chilli bean sauce (sub hoisin + chilli sauce if you don't have any)
splash of peanut oil
couple of drops sesame oil.

Fry th ginger and garlic in peanut oil until fragrant, mix rest of sauce ingredients and add to pan, bring to a simmer and stir. You just want the sugar to dissolve and the whole thing to reduce a little and go a bit syruppy. Add the eggplant and stir to coat and heat through.

Sprinkle with finely sliced green onion/spring onion/shallots/whatever you like to call them and slices of fresh red chilli if you like it hot. Serve with rice. This will serve four people as part of a chinese meal with one or two other dishes or two people with just rice.

Chinese cooking has loads of eggplant recipes. Try stuffing thick slices with that minced fish paste you get at asian grocers and deep frying them or braise with pork belly in black bean sauce.

I find roasting eggplant works great for all eggplant recipes that ask me to fry them first.

t
nina

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: for in sandwiches Reply with quote

My local deli has a great chef who will tell you how to do anything you want to know. She puts egg plant into what she calls a vego sanger with other roasted vegies. it is yummy. It is not greasy at all and can be kept in the fridge as a filling for days. You simly slice the egg plant on a mandolin as thin as you can and then dry fry it on a hot plate. no oil at all. it kind of sticks a bit but you just scrape at it and flick it over. After it is cooked you can add a tiny bit of oil to keep it if you feel the need or just eat it in bread. it takes only minutes to cook like this. if you have a non stick pan that would help but we just use a very smooth hot plate.
ponkan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a filipino dish called tortang talong (eggplant fritter) that just uses eggplant, eggs, salt, pepper, and butter. What you do is roast the eggplant over an open fire for a bit, turning it frequently to keep it even. You can do the same job in your oven's broiler. Experience is your best guide to when it's done, but the eggplant will collapse, and the finished product when you eat it will taste fully cooked. When done roasting, take the eggplants off the fire and let them cool for a bit. While waiting, grab an egg and beat it into a bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste. When the eggplant is cool, skin it. Lay it into the bowl with the egg, and gently press on it with a fork. The goal is to mash it into a flat shape while keeping the eggplant in one piece. Turn the eggplant over in the beaten egg to coat both sides. Put a small pan on the stove on medium heat, lightly grease the bottom with either butter or oil. When it's hot, lay the eggplant into the pan, cooking it until the egg just begins to brown. Turn it over and repeat on the other side. When done, serve over rice and a little soy sauce.
Queenie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: A middle eastern recipe Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a newbie around here. Thanks for the site and forum.

Another way to enjoy your eggplant is as follows:

Eggplant
1-2 cloves of garlic (depending on personal taste- I like a lot)
Carton of plain yoghurt.

Plus some green salad and maybe some pitta bread.

Slice the eggplant and brush with oil, then roastor grill it. Meanwhile crush the garlic, and mix it into the yoghurt. When the eggplant is done, serve it with the yoghurt as a dressing, and the salad on the side with the warm pitta bread.

Nice for a light lunch. The piquancy of the yoghurt mixes well with the pungency of the garlic.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: roasted eggplant.. Reply with quote

Easy yet my favorite cuisine for eggplant. First is roast eggplant on flame or roasted grilled until darken(take note don't roast too much). Then cut it into dice and small. Then serve it together with any types of vinegar in a small dessert plate with chili peppers and sprinkle the black pepper. Teasing yummy.
TheresaB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for these. I particluarly like the looks of the eggplant parm pie. More recipes to try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum