Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carbon Steel Pan...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Carbon Steel Pan... Reply with quote

I have some old pans with teflon coating. One I've been using most is a small frying pan. The teflon is gone. I keep scrubbing it. Use olive oil when cooking.
It also doesn't heat up real fast. My larger frying pan on larger burner heats up quicker.
So I've been looking at pans. Out of everything...
I decided to give a budget carbon steel pan a try.
I know I need to season it. Build up a coating on it. It does seem that working with that coating is easier than the cast iron stuff. Easy to replace if something with acid eats it off.... like onion.
So I'll post how it's going. Hoping this will be my last small fry pan. Might buy more?
Open to discussion of alternatives. Likes and whatnot.
Ronaple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should name what I got. It is a budget carbon fiber pan.
The Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Frying Pan. 8 5/8 inch.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ron -

you're right, the 'bulletin board' has faded. I'm from the early CompuServe era and I just don't do social media (g)

carbon steel pans act much like cast iron - personally I don't think they take as "effective" a seasoning ie I think cast iron gets more 'non-stickier'
people say they are lighter; relative term! my old Griswold is light enough to one handed flip eggs for over easy, so . . . .

long time back I got tired of chasing the latest/greatest pan - they all compared themselves to almost like copper, so I got copper. I have a bunch of stainless lined Bourgeat copper - I love it. and 'stainless sticks' is a myth - proper technique makes stainless quite nice.

the Instapot thing is the latest crazy - not sure restaurants use pressure cookers so much. most of the stuff is par-cooked and then finished to order in fine dining places - fastfood / chain type places it's pretty much nuke it and serve - steaks/chops/fish is usually cooked to order; roasts are long since done and staying warm in the kitchen.
Ronaple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my pan today. I love it. This is a Man's pan. Teasing
It's heavier than I thought it would be. It's beautifully plain and simple.
I have to wait to season it. Stuff coming.
I do have a lid that fits it....acceptably.

That stainless/copper you have must be really nice.

I may go ahead and buy the 11 7/8'' pan. Even now, I use a larger pan regularly for bacon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum