Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow roasting beef

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajaye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Slow roasting beef Reply with quote

I have a question about slow roasting beef. I am going to use your delicious recipe for slow roasting a standing rib roast this holiday season. My question: Can I use my convection oven for this method, and if so, are there any adjustments? Or would I be better off with conventional cooking. I am going for that beautifully even medium rare throughout. Thank you so much for a great website....
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Slow roasting beef Reply with quote

ajaye wrote:
I have a question about slow roasting beef. I am going to use your delicious recipe for slow roasting a standing rib roast this holiday season. My question: Can I use my convection oven for this method, and if so, are there any adjustments? Or would I be better off with conventional cooking. I am going for that beautifully even medium rare throughout. Thank you so much for a great website....

If you can set your convection oven to 200°F, then this should work without a problem. Just be sure to use the probe thermometer to know when to pull out the roast. The cooking time should be accelerated a bit, but at 200°F I don't expect too large of a temperature gradient within the roast.
ajaye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Slow Roasted Beef Reply with quote

OK, Thanks. I'll try it. One more question: at what temperature should I pull the roast out of the oven to make sure it doesn't rise above a medium rare finished temperature? I have gone by other recommendations in the past, they're all different, and the residusl cooking has over-cooked the roast. Then I've watched in dismay as the temp. continues to climb after it's out of the oven. Thanks again...
McDee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small roast should carryover 4°-7°
Larger roast will carryover 5°-12° during the 20 minute rest.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDee wrote:
A small roast should carryover 4°-7°
Larger roast will carryover 5°-12° during the 20 minute rest.

If you're using my Standing Rib Roast recipe, you'll want to pull it out at the same time as the thermometer registers the temperature you want. There is very little carryover heat when roasting at 200°F. At most you will have a 2°F increase during the rest. When roasting at higher temperatures, the temperature gradient within the roast is large, so more carry over temperature will be present (hence the need for different recipes to have different points where you pull out the roast).

Last edited by Michael Chu on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajaye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Slow Roasted Beef Reply with quote

Thanks! Thar's exactly what I wanted to know. I would have had a nearly raw piece of meat if using the standard directions re: carry-over time. Thanks so much.
Indiana, USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Slow Roasting Beef Reply with quote

Being very new to this site I'm having difficulty getting around.
I've read the comments written about a recipe for "slow roasting beef"...it sounds great, but I can't find the original recipe, only the comments regarding it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Roasting Beef Reply with quote

Indiana, USA wrote:
Being very new to this site I'm having difficulty getting around.
I've read the comments written about a recipe for "slow roasting beef"...it sounds great, but I can't find the original recipe, only the comments regarding it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Two posts ago, I included a link to my Standing Rib Roast recipe that uses a slow roasting method. Simply click on this link.

Or, you can go to the main site and click on Recipe File from the menu bar and select "Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast" (the recipes are alphabetically sorted).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum