Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Matzo (Matzah) Ball Soup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: yummy matzos Reply with quote

I just tried matzo ball soup for the first time last night. We had a mix of the meal in our pantry, and i thought why not lets try it... It was amazing! my son loved making the balls, and i always have homemade stock in the freezer. I am so glad this recipe is posted so i can try them from scratch. a huge hit I reccommend trying this recipe with your children!
Rochelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Matzo Ball Soup Reply with quote

Your blog is terrific. The whole issue of stock, broth, soup, hey even consomme, all seem to me like they are part of a continuum, which only the excruciatingly correct quibble about. They are all good enough to call a ready to eat soup, no?

Anyway, my mother's chicken soup was truly a cure-all and this is how it differs from yours:

The meat: 1 soup chicken [as old a bird as U can find], ie. a large one
~1 lb of beef or veal bones or some short ribs or small piece of flanken
other stuff [optional] - chicken bones, necks, wings
~ 1/2 bunch each - fresh dill, fresh parsley, AND carrot greens
some edible marigold petals or [when no flowers available] turmeric
1 onion, several carrots and celery ribs [with all their leaves]
1 parsnip, 2 zucchini, optional - 1 kohlrabi or turnip or rutabaga in chunks
several cloves garlic, a 1 inch piece of ginger, a few peppercorns and allspice peppers, 2 bay leaves
3 gallons water
First simmer the meats in the water. Fish out the useable pieces before they are fully cooked. Put in all the other ingredients and keep simmering till the veggies are tender. Add salt at end of cooking. Serve with kreplach, kneidlach [matzo balls], noodles. The meat and chicken can be served covered with a sauce and baked to heat through.
kiki-ji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Tried your suggestions - great! Reply with quote

I added 3 minced garlic cloves and appx 1/2 to 1 teasp horseradish, not sure of the exact amount as I kept adding a bit at a time. Thanks for the suggestions, they were great additions that really added flavor to the soup. Also tried 1/2 teasp tumeric which I thought was too much... 1/4 teasp is more like it. 1/2 t made it much too yellow, and this was a double size batch of soup.
Sheila Yevlevsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: My grandmother is turning over in her GRAVE Reply with quote

HELLO

I am an older woman of the Jewish descent

I make this soup always, every holiday

My grandmother Gladys would never condone a boxed matzo!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing Out Loud
Clem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: For lighter matzo balls Reply with quote

Try adding a bit of nutmeg and parsley and steam the uncooked balls in tightly covered pan simmering in soup.
libertango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: matso soup Reply with quote

I do similar balls with coarse semolina mixed with eggs (1-2 eggs and enough semolina to make a soft dough+a little salt and pepper). Stop adding semolina when the fork leaves stable marks in the dough. The only trick is not to use too much semolina...
I use a small ice cream spoon to drop the balls in the simmering soup (I remove most of the vegetables, but they could be added back in the end.I bake them in this soup for 10 min, with a lid slightly covering the pot. The balls pop up, double in size...they are good in chicken soup
fridolph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking if I can use ordinary flour?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: