Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

etoile - Napa/Yountville

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: etoile - Napa/Yountville Reply with quote

Dinner at étoile - Domaine Chandon - Yountville / CA

Depending on which review site one reads, étoile outranks The French Laundry in the Napa Valley area.
We were able to get dinner reservations at étoile; The French Laundry web site has been under (re-)construction for mulitple weeks; The French Laundry does not answer the phone - so if you can get any attention from The French Laundry you could be in luck in getting a reservation, as apparently very few people are permitted any contact.

We had much better luck at étoile. The four course tasting menu is 98 USD per head - a bargin as really good restaurants go.
starters were:
- Beet salad w/ fourme d'ambert; petit greens; poached quince

- Veal sweetbreads w/ lentils; chanterelle; butternut squash - very nice flavor combination!

Followed by

- Pan seared Diver Scallop on a bed of mint w/ cauliflower florets and grapefruit nuggets. Delicious, well prepared, described as "diver scallop" but in reality much smaller - what we on the east coast call "sea scallop" size. Technically diver scallop are defined by "hand harvested" - an east coast default of hand selection is larger size.

For our main courses:
- Ribeye of Prime Beef w/ quail egg; celery root; be of quinoa - absolutely splendid, perfect sauce, tender and very flavorful.

- Suckling Berkshire Pork - persimmon; golden raisins; radish+scallion medley - Berkshire is an 'heirloom' breed - pork 'old style' before pork was bred to be a lean 'other white meat' - if you have the opportunity to get Berkshire pork, it is very good - not to pass up.

Desserts changes frequently - DW did a chocolate confection which was stellar.

I had the Prickly Pear Sorbet - because I've not had prickly pear - very good stuff! garnished with a sliced/dehydrated/deep fried/salted slice of celery root - which did not work for me; toss the garnish, enjoy the sorbet.

Accompanied by a Matanzas Creek Merlot (2011) - as recommended by the sommelier to be a soft merlot - spot on; good recommendation, the man knows his stuff.

Various delectable amuse-bouche and very nice crusty rolls.
I have seen one scathing review about bad service; we did not see or experience that. Service was absolute excellent - Josie did a bang-up job of Q&A and attention without imposing.

Domaine Chandon has extensive, well tended gardens. Visiting in the fall, it was getting dark at our reservation time - the humming birds were out in full force. If you have time/daylight, walking the gardens is a good side visit.

Heeln56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! This restaurant is very beautiful dear. Can you tell me the location of this restaurant? I have been to almost every San Francisco restaurants but I haven’t found “Veal sweetbreads” anywhere. I want to try this dish. So please tell me the location of this venue!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see the first line of the message.
spam link deleted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum