Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I would like to make this ahead as it is for a church potluck. do you loose quality if you make it and refrigerate it the night before? (green bean)

I find that it's not appreciably different if I prepare everything (except the baking) the night before and refrigerate. One the day of, I simply bake it for the appropriate times. I've even done it in my toaster oven because my oven is roasting the chestnuts (right after pulling the turkey).
fern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: crock pot green bean casserole Reply with quote

Can you make the green been casserole in the crock pot to save oven room? If so, how would you change the recipe?
Wayne Boatwright

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Campbell's Cream of Shrimp Soup Reply with quote

Back in the late 1960s/early 1970s, Campbell's produced a collection of frozen soups, one of them being Cream of Shrimp Soup. It bore no resemblance to the canned version that followed and still available. I used to have a recipe for a shrimp dip using the frozen soup. It was delicious. When they discontinued the frozen soup line, I tried using the canned version in my recipe. It was disgusting!

Wayne
Smith Family

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Green Bean Casserole in Crock Pot Reply with quote

Please, if anyone knows! We have been wondering for two or three years if we could do green bean casserole in the rival crock pot. It's my turn to bring it to the family dinner and I need to keep in hot after cooking and when I get to my brother's house. I won't be able to use the oven there. Has anyone tried to make it in a crock pot. I don't want the whole family mad at me for ruining one of the main dishes. We all love it. I am still searching the web for solid proof of success. Thanks for your help. -DMS
SmartMouth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Crock pot experimentation Reply with quote

Jeepers. Why don't you just *try* it in a crock pot as an experiment - if it works, you've got a an extra side dish for dinner tonight. If it doesn't, you've learned a valuable lesson without risking Thanksgiving.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this via Google:
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/slowcooker/green-bean-casserole.htm
cooard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

When I was not longer able to eat mushrooms my daughter subsituted cream of onion soup an the whole family prefered the taste.
cosmiclobster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: canned green beans??? Reply with quote

If you care at all about the flavor and texture of your end product, USE FRESH GREEN BEANS!!! Pinch off the stems end, cut them into 2" pieces and steam them for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Canned and frozen vegetables are disgusting by comparison!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Cream of Mushroom Soup with Roasted Garlic? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using this soup in the Green Bean Casserole recipe? It sounded good to me, so I'm going to try it for a potluck dinner next week. Another experiment will be baking the casserole, then transferring it to the CrockPot so that it will stay warm. Has anyone tried this? I hope I'm not ruining this recipe with all these variables!! Thanks.
lsb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Water Chestnuts Reply with quote

We always make this with a small can of sliced water chestnuts added to the mix. It adds a nice crunch if you are using canned beans. Otherwise, it can be a little mushy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

I've always used about 2 cups of shredded swiss cheese in it too. It adds a nice flavor and makes it all come together.
rykthia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: try making your own cream of mushroom Reply with quote

I must admit a certain obsession with doing everything from scratch. Here's a rough recipe for making cream of mushroom from scratch. It is oodles better than the canned variety.

2c. dried mushrooms (available at your local health or fancy food mart - I get mine at whole foods...different varieties will give you different flavors. I use shitakes and like the flavor)
1/2 c. water
1.5c. soymilk (single serving size will work)
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Toss the dried mushrooms with water until coated well. Microwave for several 30 second intervals. Add more water as necessary and continue microwaving until mushrooms are tender. This takes about 1/2-3/4c. water and 3 minutes for me.

Melt the butter is a saucepan until it just barely starts bubbling. Add the 4tbsp flour and whisk vigorously. Turn the flame to low and cook for several minutes while stirring. Do not allow the roux to brown. Add the soymilk all at once and whisk vigorously until smooth and free of lumps. It should immediately thicken. Add the soft mushrooms and bubble over low for about 10 minutes. Depending on how much water you used to cook the mushrooms, you may have to thin out the soup with a little more water. That's up to you. Then add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (I like a lot of all three Smile

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's actually pretty easy and is done within 15 minutes. No chopping or slicing involved! (Thank god for dried mushrooms)

I then chop up several cups of fresh green beans and put them in a casserole, sprinkle a tablespoon or two of red wine vinegar over top with fresh ground black pepper and pour the hot soup over. Finally, I cover in parsley and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, top with a little asiago cheese and broil for another 5 minutes until bubbly. It's super good and gets better as it sits.

A note on the soy milk: I tried that because I was out of regular milk. I'm not a soy milk fan, but I actually prefer the taste with the soy milk instead of regular milk - I'd recommend you give it a shot.

I choose not to pre-steam the greenbeans because I like the bite. I add the red wine vinegar for a little contrasting acid flavor.
rykthia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: P.S. Reply with quote

P.S.

I forgot to add something to that recipe - you can use an immersion blender, food processor, or upright blender to cream down the soup to a smooth consistency after it is cooked and before pouring it over the green beans. I prefer the chunky variety.
sheila

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Substitution for French Fried Onions? Reply with quote

I love this Green Bean Casserole. Unfortunately, it is not something I grew up with but I have had it a couple of times over my adult years.

I'd love to make this but can you recommend a substitution for the French Fried Onions? We are in a small sailboat (CAL 34) and currently on the island of Sint Maarten / St. Martin. I've never seen this product in any supermarket here, although I did see a can of Shoestring Potatoes yesterday and almost fell over... Perhaps I should buy a couple. As we proceed farther south, there will be even fewer opportunities for pre-processed foods which is actually a good thing, but, as I said, I'd really like to make this casserole.

Thanks for any suggestsions!
Sheila
s/v So It Goes (1969 CAL 34 sail boat)
Our Sailing Blog
Patty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Green Bean Casserole Reply with quote

I remember a casserole with waterchestnuts as well as bean sprouts. Anyone else heard of it? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: