Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks Thermapen 2014 Giveaway!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Off Topic: Thermoworks Thermapen 2014 Giveaway! Reply with quote

Sorry, I dropped the ball this week and only just realized a couple hours ago that Thermoworks offered to give away a Thermapen if I ran a giveaway contest that ended this Saturday (tomorrow)! I think this will be the third year in a row that I'll be able to give away the best thermometer I've ever used for cooking. This post will be short so I can get it up quickly, but read on to see how to enter the drawing which will take place on the evening of December 13, 2014.

I think I've written more about the Thermapen than any other single thing on my site. Partly that's because Thermoworks has been very generous in letting me give them away each year (in 2012 and in 2013 when I managed to get Emma to pose adorably with my red one), but also because it's a really, really good thermometer (back in 2005 I tested a variety of different thermometers and the older Thermapen came out on top). It takes accurate readings in less than 4 seconds, is splash-proof, and has more than once saved an expensive cut of meat.

Yes, the Thermapen is expensive at nearly $100 (currently they are selling for $96), but if you cook a turkey, a beef tenderloin, filet mignon, rack of pork, or any other expensive cut having a fast and accurate thermometer is well worth the investment. I trust a Thermapen so much that I will often travel with one just in case I'm asked to cook something.

I should mention that for the last couple years, Cooking For Engineers has been an affiliate of Thermoworks - we get a small percentage of each sale that comes from a link from Cooking For Engineers. This money is used to help pay for some of the serving costs and maintenance of the site. I don't recommend Thermapens because of the affiliate program though. If there was a better thermometer that I've used, I'd be recommending that one instead. I recommend (and so do many other trusted food experts like American's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated, Alton Brown, Rose Levy Beranbaum, Thomas Keller, and others) the Thermapen because it's currently the best cooking thermometer (and one of the best tools to have) out there.

Thermapens come in a variety of colors. If you win, you can pick a red one like the one Emma is holding in the picture above or any of the other standard colors listed on Thermowork's website. (That picture of Emma is from last year... I'm going to try my best to get an picture of her with a Thermapen taken tomorrow and posted to this article before the contest ends.)

Here are the giveaway instructions:
  1. You need to be in the United States or Canada to qualify for this giveaway (Thermowork's shipping requirements).
  2. Join Cooking For Engineers (through the forums) and post a comment telling me you really want a chance to win the Thermapen. I need you to join so, if you win, I'll have an email address to contact you with to get your mailing info so Thermoworks can send you the DOT. I won't have contact information for guest/anonymous posts so I can't include your entry unless you are logged in. (If you are an existing member, be sure to double check your email address on file to make sure it's accurate.)
  3. At some time after 10pm Central Standard Time on December 13, 2014, I'll post a comment signifying the end of the contest. All entries (where I have contact info) above my comment will be eligible to win.
  4. I'll number the participants and generate a random number which will determine the winner and post the winner as well as contact them via email. If there is no response within 24 hours of my email, then I'll pick another number and winner (and so on).

Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All comments by registered users posted after this comment and before my comment ending the contest will count as contest entries.
silencio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you ended up linking to the wrong forum post to comment on! Currently it links to http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&t=3473

regardless... I'm a long time lurker of your site, would love to win a thermapen Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for catching that error! I knew I was going to make a mistake if I rushed this out. Luckily, it looks like no one accidentally posted on that other thread, so I didn't have to move any comments over.
brendal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: yay for contests! Reply with quote

I would love for the chance to win one!
bandicoot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Thermapen giveaway Reply with quote

I would really like a chance to win a Thermapen. The older one I currently have is often used in brewing ale, and has a tendency to clog from the vapor produced by the boil and has to be disassembled to get it working again. I'm told the newer models have fixed this issue.
merinda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baby makes it look even more helpful! I'd like one.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a Thermapen because in two weeks I have to prepare a pork roast and a beef roast for a family gathering. Yup, two roasts, one oven. Plus I'll need to sample the wines for the big meal so I'll need something that's easy to help me check on all that meat.
Kbpennell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Thermapen Reply with quote

My wife is super paranoid about meat being done. I could use a thermapen to reassure her.
Jimmy Bajingo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Man it's frigging hard to get registered Reply with quote

I really want a chance to win the Thermapen
qbit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: I would love to win a Thermopen Reply with quote

Yes, indeed.
tmiw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please choose me as the winner of the Thermapen!
christyr1q

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: I want to win a Themapen Reply with quote

With my husband not working, I just haven't gotten one for us. But I would love one!
Shalmanese

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sir, may I have some more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ambatla1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Thermoworks Thermapen Reply with quote

I would greatly appreciate winning a Thermapen. Have looked at them for years but never could justify spending that much to order one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: