Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: Bacon (Part II)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emhahn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: US bacon Reply with quote

I toured through a hog breeding facility and learned that they know the genetic make up of the pigs in their facility and can breed hogs to produce different types of bacon based on the country they were to be sold in. Those for the US were bred to have more "streaky bacon" and those for export, to say Japan, were bred to have leaner meat. The tour guide referred to the export bacon as being a "better quality" than what people in the US like.
motograter23

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: BACON!!! Reply with quote

I've found that one of the most unique and kind of fun ways to cook bacon is to bake it. Using cookie sheets, line the trays with bacon in a neat order just barely overlapping each other. Cook for about 20 min on one side, then flip the strips and bake some more until they're done. This is particularly successful with thick cut bacon. Thanks for sharing an awesome post!
-
MISTAJD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: COOKING BACON Reply with quote

i have another method for you to try.
place bacon on a "rack" on a baking sheet.
place in cold oven.
set oven to 4oo-degress F and turn on.
let bacon cook 17 minutes.
it should be done to pretty much perfection.
you can then decant the grease in the pan to save for other uses,
such as to make corn bread ....
good luck...
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur w/ MISTAJD, and I use the extra grease for cornbread! (I sieve it through aa coffee filter too)
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the grease for brussels sprouts and all sorts of other dishes!
sallie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: BACON Reply with quote

Bacon cooked in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes is the best way. No mess, bacon is evenly cooked, and crisp. Cook's Illustrated also recommends cooking in water (sounds counter-intuitive, I know)
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8412-youll-never-believe-how-we-make-perfect-bacon?popular=true

You have a typo: Method 3: Baking at low temperatures
I seemed to have lost the pictures that accompanied this baking technique - but their not much to look at anyway, it's just an oven.

THEIR should read THEY'RE
samuelbmm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: OMG, so crunchy Reply with quote Delete this post

Man, the flavor is just too damn good and the texture is like so crunchy and its kinda easy to eat. TESTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: