Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Thermoworks DOT Thanksgiving 2014 Giveaway!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firecooked

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Immersion blender Reply with quote

I use an immersion blender to purée soups, make salad dressings, smoothies, hummus and other dips, mayonnaise .... It has replaced my blender and food processor for many jobs.
squawky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have many useful kitchen tools, but thinking specifically of unitaskers that have one job, but do it really well... the pepper grinder.

That's all it does - crack peppercorns - but I can't imagine my kitchen without one. Actually have 4 of them - one for black pepper, another for salt (not *quite* a unitasker), and two smaller ones that are earmarked for specialty peppercorns (someday).
hernandezfisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my cast iron skillet. Does the job of a saute pan, wok, roasting pan, mini dutch oven, and lots more.
Robert92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Simple tool Reply with quote

I love my little paring knife. Use it all the time, really quick to sharpen and for those with a small workspace, doesn't take up a ton of room when I set it down.
JonR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Unitasker Reply with quote

I know my great-grandmother was a whiz with her paring knife but, for peeling potatoes and such, I like my vegetable peeler.
paul.gunn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Simple Tool Reply with quote

I often prefer using a whisk instead of a mixer machine.
anson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Simple Tool Reply with quote

Does it count that I use the broiler instead of the deep fryer when making Buffalo wings?
krisk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cheap Hamilton-Beach chef's knife I use more than the pricey ones I have. Just the right weight, feels great, and holds its edge nicely.
Listening

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred tool is my boning knife. The handle is a perfect fit for my hand, and its narrow blade lets me easily slice and dice foods as needed. Though its supposed to be limited in purpose, my boning knife has come to be my "go to" knife of choice. It doesn't hurt that once sharpened it stays sharp for ages.
watusecook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with the earlier poster about a good mortar and pestle. I use and love lots of kitchen equipment like my KitchenAid mixer, the food processor, and immersion blender, but for a low-tech tool that does its one task extremely well, the mortar and pestle is it.
awen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Rice cooker Reply with quote

I agree on the rice cooker - it is such a simple appliance and it cooks rice perfectly every single time.
Z is for Zebra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Toothpick Reply with quote

I love toothpicks. They're sharp, non-abbrasive, and easy to dispose of. They have a million uses in and out of the kitchen, and they'd belong in my zombie survival kit together with a roll of duct tape.

I frequently use them instead of a spatula and/or fork to make scrambled eggs.

Last edited by Z is for Zebra on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my egg slicer. It makes egg salad a breeze and eliminates time consuming chopping.
SierraBob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Parchment Paper Reply with quote

It seems silly, but parchment paper is a life-saver/time-saver.

Tear off a piece, lay it on the cookie sheet, and make as many batches of cookies as you want. They all come off cleanly, and the pan underneath (assuming nothing else happened to it) doesn't even need to be washed after it has cooled down.

Cut a square to fit the bottom/sides of your brownie pan, and you'll never again have to try to figure out how to separate the edges of the brownies from the pan (how do you get a flat knife to cleanly round the corner of the brownie pan without butchering the heavenly corner pieces?).

Line your casserole dish with it before cooking fish.

Cut a round of it to fit the bottom of your springform cheesecake pan (don't let it get between the edge of the bottom and the lip of the side when you clamp the pan closed though... that would be a mess)... now you can slip your flat spatula or cake round between the bottom of the springform and the parchment and the graham crust will remain intact.

Cut parchment rounds for the bottoms of the cups in the muffin tin if you're not using the muffin/cupcake wrappers. Parchment comes off far easier than the paper muffin/cupcake wrappers, and it also keeps anything from bonding between the bottom of the muffin and the muffin pan (ever get frustrated when trying to turn-out a pan of blueberry muffins??? Parchment paper is your best friend!)

You can't go wrong with parchment paper... it's cheap and a roll lasts a long time!
Mei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: greatest tool Reply with quote

I would go for my kitchen knife as the best multitasker. No need for garlic peeler, just smash it with the knife. No need to a fancy food processor, just slice, chop, cut with the knife !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: