Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you properly cook a bratwurst ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks!
rdking647

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you properly cook a bratwurst ? Reply with quote

kgb1001001 wrote:
DrBiggles wrote:
sean wrote:
Hi,

How do you cook a bratwurst without grilling it ?

Some people say you should boil it in water .. others in beer ? Some even just throw it in the oven.

Which is the best way to get a nice "snappy" crisp brat ?

Many thanks
Sean

The proper way to cook a German sausage is to boil in water for 5 minutes, remove to plate. Serve with fine German mustard.

This information comes directly from Dittmer's Wurst Haus in Mountain View California. This is where you can place an order with the butcher in either German or English. The place is absolutely the most amazing I've been in a long damned time.

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/001009.html

Biggles

Being from the Midwest, where Bratwurst cooking is an art, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, on this one, Biggles. A "Brat" in the US is not the same as a standard German sausage -- it's not eaten the same and it's not cooked the same. First of all, I assume that the original poster was intending to put it on a bun, right? That's the first difference right there...

What I recommend (and what I've done for years, and all my friends and relations have done) is to cook it in two parts. First boil it in BEER (the cheaper the better -- Budweiser does fine) for about 5 minutes. Then finish it on either a hot grill or in a hot frying pan until it just develops a nice crust and some good scorch marks. Then you can put it in a warmed bun and top it with (as you mentioned) some good german-style mustard, some grilled onions, or whatever else your heart desires.

as an alumi of wisconsin i agree.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn it! Bought some bratwurst a few days ago and when I pulled up the recipe from my files, I found I had the OLD version. The last iteration was great: browned some onions, added brats and boiling water to ˝-way up the sides, them simmered for quite a while.

I think there was more to it that that, but darned if I can remember.

Would I have given them a broil even after cooking in a covered pan for ˝ hour or so? Can't remember...
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooking in water/liquid does not make for much color or crispness - and then there's ye'olde absence of the M-reaction thing....

a broil / grill / saute post boil is very common.

there is no such thing as "the one way" to bratenize a sausage.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean BOIL / grill / sauté post, don't you?

I think that's how I did it last time. Thanks for the pointer.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope.

the "boil" bit is intended to cook the sausage through.

post boil it's making it crisp/colorful/fondy.

so "making it crisp/colorful/fondy" can be done by any number of direct heat means - broil, grill, saute....

one _can_ do "bratwurst" without the wet/water cook stage. I do it right cotton picking regular.
in a pan.
on a flat-top.
it takes time - one cannot just jack up the heat.
takes patience.

doing it on a gas / charcoal grill is mucho more trickier. typically the heat is higher and/or less controlled (outside the 'smoking' approach) which can result in burnt-to-a-crisp outside and under-cooked-inside.....
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's slowly coming back to me... I think I browned them for a while alongside the onions, then added water and simmered for a bit.

Then finished off with a broil, flipping a few times.

The reason I took that approach was the absurdly high amount of fat in the brats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum