Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Family Variations Reply with quote

This recipe looks very legitimate to me, being British. I know there are various family additions and changes to the recipe. Personally, I have never heard of adding sweetcorn, and the prospect I find positively ghastly. In our family, adding a diced red pepper is the norm, and cheddar cheese is mixed into the mashed potatoes, as well as sprinkled on top. We also tend to run a fork across the top in a style similar to freshly ploughed fields. This also aids the crisping of the potatoes. And yes, the addition of Worcestershire Sauce and tomato paste/puree are a must. As to Marmite in the cottage pie, I am intrigued and will definitely try it!
ArizonaFans

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: A few additions Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the recipe... came in handy. Much like others we made a few additions:

In a double batch we went with 1lb ground lamb and 1 lb ground bison (other half prefers it to beef or pork), 4 T of Worchester, 3 cups of fresh spinach, 8 oz of sliced mushrooms, 3 cloves of garlic and a bag of frozen peas.

In essence we cooked the garlic with the onions/carrots, followed the recipe as posted then right before adding the potatoes layered the spinach and then peas onto the cooks beef/veg mixture with a lid covering it for 4-5 min. That wilted the spinach and slightly thawed the peas.

Then we mixed it all in and continued with the potatoes on top etc. Great stuff... thanks for posting the great recipe and we'll be back for others soon.
Stacey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: shepherd's pie Reply with quote

I've never written on the internet before, but after seeing all the comments from people around the world I just wanted to add my two cents worth. I grew up with shepherd's and cottage pies. Over the years I cheated by using cream of celery soup for the gravy (others like mushroom soup). And I really like some sour cream in my mashed potatoes as it gives it a creamy texture especially when using the cheaper russet potatoes. My favorite vegetable is string beans. Sometimes I put the beans in first, then the meat covered with soup, and then the potatoes. Delicious!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently asked my sister to make me a shepherd pie, and she said it is supposed to have a bread or roll of sorts. What do you know of this?
Craigy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Shepherds'/Cottage Reply with quote

Came across this one quite by accident, so a quick comment from a Uk food historian & chef...

Left-over meat, veg & gravy topped with buttery mash was first widely known as cottage pie, whatever the meat. By the mid 1800's, cottage & shepherd's (or s' - earliest recipes weren't punctuated!) were used to distinguish between beef and mutton-based pies respectively.

While there are as many variants as there are regions and cooks (always the way with good traditional dishes, wherever they're from), the only alternative to hold a separate name is cumberland pie - cottage pie topped with a layer of breadcrumbs.

So luke, that may be what your sister was referring to, or the fact that in some areas cottage pies are still traditionally done in trenchers or hollowed out loaves.

To be honest, it's meant to be enjoyed - make it however you like it.

My preference (& on my restaurant menu) is diced carrot in with the meat, swede (rutabaga?) and a good grating of nutmeg in the buttery mash and gruyere/strong cheddar on top before it goes in the oven.

One of my favourites if there's any left at the end of a service... with a good dollop of HP sauce, of course!

Enjoy... and keep trying new versions!
Lucy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Shepard's Pie Reply with quote

I love this site! I lost my favorite recipe for Shepard's Pie and this is closest to how I use to make it. The only difference is I add some red wine and peas. Thanks Smile
Jillian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled on this site whilst looking how to use Smoked Paprika! Being an ex-Brit and thinking I had all the ingredients, I decided to make this Shepherd's Pie. Followed recipe and found the table of ingredients and actions wonderfully easy to follow as I am now of the age where I need to read a paragraph or recipe at least 10 times over to absorb what's required and I have to keep going back to the recipe every 5 seconds to remind myself of what I am doing......so I just love the table. Will definitely come back to this site. Thank you so much for your whole layout.

As would be expected, I had forgotten that I didn't have all the ingredients and had to make several changes, i.e. only 3 potatoes in the cupboard so mixed them with sweet potato. Added my usual corn between the layers and finally sprinkled my Smoked Paprika on top of the potatoes with butter!!! See I did remember that I originally wanted to use the smoked paprika. Smile

Just now went to add breadcrumbs on top as per a previous post. It's in the oven and I am quite intrigued as to how it's all going to turn out! Smells divine with the smoked paprika. Ahh there's the timer going....will let you know. Smile
Jillian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: The Aftermath Reply with quote

Some of the other changes that I forgot to post was that I was out of beef stock and had to exchange chicken stock, even though I was using ground beef and also added the last ounce of white wine - all ingredients that aren't really supposed to go together.

I can report back that it was delicious. Hubby though I was presenting a dessert, with it's orangy colouring. He thought it was a peach crumble.......until he tasted it! Laughing Out Loud
gEEk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Perfect for Pi Day/St. Patty's Day potluck Reply with quote

Thanks Michael! I'm going to make this for our office early St. Patty's Day/Pi Day potluck (3/14). I'm a certified gEEk Big smile
Ronald haeberle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Shephard's-Cottage pie Reply with quote

Firstly, Shepard's pie is made with lamb, not beef as its name implies. Cottage pie, is made from beef. Therefore, the two names are not synonymous.

In addition, a third meat pie, humble pie is made from the vital organs such as kidney, stomach, heart, etc. A pie made by the poor folks. The implication is that they could not afford the more desirable parts of these animals. They were left with the innards.

A shepherd watches over lamb, not cattle, thus the name shepherd's pie.
Tim Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shephard's-Cottage pie Reply with quote

Ronald haeberle wrote:
Firstly, Shepard's pie is made with lamb, not beef as its name implies. Cottage pie, is made from beef. Therefore, the two names are not synonymous.

Wasn't this made abundantly clear in the first sentance of the article?
Deb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Shepherds' Pie Reply with quote

Love this recipe and did add milk to potatoes, worcestershire & corn to beef--YUM! Thank you and throughly enjoyed the numerous discussions.
Morris Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: My ways Reply with quote

I saute small firm mushrooms separately...steam small baby carrots like the ones in a bag in the produce dept.

I use "Store Trim" ground beef..it has a little bit of all the different cuts in the meat case...nice blend and usually great flavor.

after browning the beef (and not too finely broken up) I pour in some water to the desired sauce level(eyeball this)..and stir in part of an Aujus packet to desired color and judge it by the salt threshold.

Then dissolve a little cornstarch in cold water and add in to thicken at boiling temp...I also do this by sight rather than measurements...combine the veggies..oh!...also...I like to put in fine diced celery...so fine that is does not need to be cooked...the oven will cook it just right( a bit firm).

I wont go into all the seasonings and such...just these main differences from most the other postings.

I use whole milk in the Russetts mash pots...a little prepared horseradish and fresh chives cut into little slivers for nice color.

Try blending in one egg to the potatoes to help them brown on the top from the oven!!......

I let it cool when done and put in the fridge..then take out a portion in the days to come and re-heat in microwave carefully...Try some grated extra sharp cheddar...added just before the re-heat...oe just near the end of the re-heat....Bon Apetit'...Smile
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Shepherd's Pie Reply with quote

Just want to know who this guy Sheppard is who keeps getting credit for every British person's granny's favourite recipe?

Also Worcestershire sauce into the cooking mix certainly, but not served with the pie. That HAS to be HP sauce
Cherri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Variation Reply with quote Delete this post

I am going to try this with thin strips of steak in a white sauce..cant decide what all veggies to use yet but should be good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: