Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JavaBen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: BBQ! Reply with quote

BBQ - What else!

Anybody else out there doing S-L-O-W cooked BBQ?

I'm using a Big Green Egg with a controller bought from www.thebbqguru.com - works great!

I've ended up at 24 hours. Not because it creates the best BBQ (which it does) but because it's also a good comprimise on time - 12 hours is really ackward for dinner - 5 AM to get the fire started? NOT!

I've been cook BBQ pork shoulder since '86. But I don't like my ribs - yet. How do you cook your (port) ribs? Temp and time, please!

JavaBen
Johneegeek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: BBQ! Reply with quote

JavaBen wrote:

I've been cooking BBQ pork shoulder since '86.

Wow! Skin_Colorz_PDT_10 That does take a long time, I'd think that'd be done by now! Skin_Colorz_PDT_04

--Sorry, I couldn't resist.
JaerBesan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: All about BBQ Reply with quote

BBQ is clearly my number one style of food. I am always looking for an excuse to bbq something. My LyfeTyme pit is one of my two treasured earthly posessions (Bianchi bicycle).

Pork shoulder is also my preferred item. I make mine in one of two styles; Lexington (NC) or Memphis/Southern Illinois. I let mine go for about 2 hours/pound and then give it a fine chop. If for some reason I get bored of sandwiches I've found that the pork is excellent for making Mexican dishes like nachos, tacos, or enchiladeas.

Alas, like you, I do not like my ribs. I think it's because I've been trying to perfect the spare rib. I really do not like the brisket portion of the spare rib. So after two years and several pounds later I am going to switch to baby back ribs. It's been a while since I made baby backs, but the last time I did make them I do remember loving them. If I remember correctly, I put a rub on them the night before. Then next day I put them in the pit for about 2.5 hours at 300° and smoked them with applewood. Then I lightly brushed them with a sweet sauce, wrapped them in tin foil, and finished them off for about another 1 - 1.5 hours.
breagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: ribs Reply with quote

Baby-backs are a specialty, and falling-down easy with a Big Green Egg. Two things to remember 1-remove the membrane on the backside. If you cook with it on, you wind up eating Saran Wrap. 2-low heat/long time. About 4 hours for smoking, then wrap in foil with your favorite sauce for 2 more hours. All cooking at 200-220 degrees

If you're partial to dry rub, do it at least 24 hrs in advance. Hickory wood chips are excellent, although many woment prefer alder, particularly if you add potatoes during the smoking phase.

happy smokin'
Barbarainnc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: My favorite also, love Eastern NC Style BBQ. Reply with quote

Matter of fact, I had some for lunch today!!!! Smile Smile Smile
BayouBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: BBQ Ribs Reply with quote

I am brand new to this site. I love to cook. My specilaty is BBQ and Cajun fare. I have been competing in BBQ contests for the past 6 years. I recently began marketing my own line of bbq sauce called Smokin' Cole's Original Bold n' Spicy BBQ Sauce. I also have a bbq dry rub that will be added to the line next week. Visit my site to find out more information and go to the "Contact Us" tab to sign up for our free quarterly newsletter.

I saw where some folks did not like their ribs. Maybe I can help. I always use spares. I start out by peeling of the membrane inside the ribs with a dry papertowel. I then cut off the brisket portion at the end of the bones. Prepare your grill or smoker at 225-250 deg. Make sure you are measuring temp at cooking grate. Use your favorite bbq rub (I prefer my own) applied liberally on the ribs and brisket portion if you wish. Let set out of refridgerator until rub looks like it has "melted" into the ribs.Usually this takes about 20-30 minutes. Place on the cooker maintaining the temp for 2.5 - 3 hours. Then wrap in foil and place back on grill for another 2 hours. Unwrap ribs and place back on the grill for another .5 hrs. At this point brush on your favorite bbq sauce (I prefer my own sauce too). Remove and enjoy 10-15 minutes later.
This can also be done for babybacks by reducing cooking times. You will not be disappointed.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BBQ Ribs Reply with quote

BayouBBQ wrote:
I am brand new to this site. I love to cook. My specilaty is BBQ and Cajun fare. I have been competing in BBQ contests for the past 6 years. I recently began marketing my own line of bbq sauce called Smokin' Cole's Original Bold n' Spicy BBQ Sauce. I also have a bbq dry rub that will be added to the line next week. Visit my site to find out more information and go to the "Contact Us" tab to sign up for our free quarterly newsletter.

I saw where some folks did not like their ribs.

Hey Russ,

Dang man, that's a really nice site you got going there. And those wins speak more than words. I joined our local chapter years ago and had fun attending a few events. Never competed myself though, didn't have the inspiration to. The cooking is so different from what I do at home, heh.

I wonder if most people would enjoy their ribs more if they were able to build and maintain a good cooking fire. I've pretty much run the gambit with spares with rubs to sauces and they were all good if not a bit better. Ribs can be kinda hard if you aren't used to cooking for so long.

You consider doing a smoking class? If Dr. BBQ can do it, so can you.

Biggles
NeiNastran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that I found this topic. I want to enter the world of real BBQ-ing and not grilling. Everyone is telling me to just buy one of those oil can smokers from Costco. But I just don't think those cut it. Besides the BBQ guru device, what other BBQ/Smoking devices do you guys recommend.

PS - I was about to design one out of bricks and build it in my backyard, but if that's not necessary I would like to know of some options I can simply purchase.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeiNastran wrote:
It's funny that I found this topic. I want to enter the world of real BBQ-ing and not grilling. Everyone is telling me to just buy one of those oil can smokers from Costco. But I just don't think those cut it. Besides the BBQ guru device, what other BBQ/Smoking devices do you guys recommend.

PS - I was about to design one out of bricks and build it in my backyard, but if that's not necessary I would like to know of some options I can simply purchase.

Criminy, this topic can be as fierce (usually more) than Mac vs. PC. And in keeping in tune with that, Vista has caused me to consider a mac after 24 years. Heh.

I've got 27 years worth of grilling experience and maybe 12 years worth of smoking experience, and I have to say it's a personal fit. You have to step off at some point and start cooking and using equipment. But if you want to smoke something, I would suggest a "weber bullet". Mostly because it works and one load of fuel will get you about 10 to 12 hours worth of use.

Personally, I would look around and find something for free or close to it. Practice, and see how it lays. Hone your skills and have some fun, don't spend too much time worrying about this and that. I can get what I want out of nearly any grill or smoker, which means it's about your skill. Just like photography, it's not about the equipment, it's about the love.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
Criminy, this topic can be as fierce (usually more) than Mac vs. PC. And in keeping in tune with that, Vista has caused me to consider a mac after 24 years. Heh.
Biggles

I had to laugh when Microsucks, I mean Microsoft released Vista XP a few months ago. It lets you go back to XP after having installed Vista! Laughing Out Loud Of course it doesn't work on new machines that came pre-loaded with Vista.

Get a Mac. After you get used to it (usually pretty quickly, but some people are resistant to change) you'll wonder why you waited so long to dump the latest version of DOS.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
DrBiggles wrote:
Biggles

I had to laugh when Microsucks, I mean Microsoft released Vista XP a few months ago. It lets you go back to XP after having installed Vista! Laughing Out Loud Of course it doesn't work on new machines that came pre-loaded with Vista.

Get a Mac. After you get used to it (usually pretty quickly, but some people are resistant to change) you'll wonder why you waited so long to dump the latest version of DOS.

Tee hee. I visted my local computer shop (privately owned) and talked to Danny about what he thought about Vista. I figured since he wrenches on multiple machines daily, he'd give me a decent spew. Man, all he did was make sour noises and said that many of his repairs now are on vista machines where the user attempted to load XP back. Sigh.

My next machine will be the imac 24" rig. I don't do much with computers anymore (no gaming or wrenching). InDesign, email, photoshop ... pr0n, you get the idea.

Biggles

ps - Wish me luck, finally decided to make the jump and plan to start my first grilling class in 3 to 4 weeks. Time to make some money!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ You are going to love the 24" IMac, great machine with a great hi-res screen. How do you like InDesign? I have been using QuarkXpress for all my office stationery and information sheets since the early to mid 1990's (version 3). I have upgraded to each new version as they came out, Version 4 and 5 were OK. Then they apparently started taking Bloatware lessons from Microsoft, and version 6 was greatly enlarged (didn't do anything any better) and version 7 is HORRIBLE--it is massive and altered all my previous Quark files and it has terrible glitches they have not addressed. Luckily, I had backed up all my files and I ditched version 7 and went back to version 6 and reloaded my backed up, un-altered version 6 files. The problem is, I know how to use QuarkXPress, but I probably should have cut my losses and tried InDesign years ago. I guess what I am asking is, is InDesign hard to learn and does Adobe give good technical service?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started working with InDesign several months ago and I have to say that it hasn't been too bumpy. Unfortunately, I didn't know Quark before, but I did have some time with PageMaker and FrameMaker and some of the concepts and methods for doing things are similar... although sometimes I find myself saying, "well, in Frame I'd do this... how come this doesn't do that???" Then I figure out how to do it based on all the forum posts across the internet (usually picking up a tip or two along the way). If you're familiar with the Adobe interface already - Photoshop, Illustrator - then it feels familiar which helps make the learning curve less steep...

Those are my impressions of it while I'm still getting used to working in it.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
^^^^^ You are going to love the 24" IMac, great machine with a great hi-res screen. How do you like InDesign? I have been using QuarkXpress for all my office stationery and information sheets since the early to mid 1990's (version 3). I have upgraded to each new version as they came out, Version 4 and 5 were OK. Then they apparently started taking Bloatware lessons from Microsoft, and version 6 was greatly enlarged (didn't do anything any better) and version 7 is HORRIBLE--it is massive and altered all my previous Quark files and it has terrible glitches they have not addressed. Luckily, I had backed up all my files and I ditched version 7 and went back to version 6 and reloaded my backed up, un-altered version 6 files. The problem is, I know how to use QuarkXPress, but I probably should have cut my losses and tried InDesign years ago. I guess what I am asking is, is InDesign hard to learn and does Adobe give good technical service?

Yeah, I started on Pagemaker back in the early '90s. But it was dated pretty quickly by Quark. Always planned on changing over, but a handful of years ago read some nasty things about the president of Quark and how he mismanaged the company and the software in to a steaming pile of crud. The shear volumes of their users jumped to indesign in droves, oh well. I moved to indesign because pagemaker wasn't being upgraded and NEEDED some features pm just couldn't deliver. Plus, wanted the compatibility so I could transfer documents to print houses and the like. Then? Everything went to PDF and it just didn't matter anymore, feh.

Indesign is a rocketship filled with features and I love it dearly. So far, the help file has answered all my questions. I don't know how their support team is, sorry hey. I do have a few complaints though, day to day features can be buried pretty deep, such as hyphenation. Lordy, it shouldn't be that far away. And my working surface is very small, I used to have all my digital copy pasted all to the sides, up and down. Then I could put all my goodies in to my pages. Indesign pretty much gives you just the page you're working on. Maybe there's a way to embiggen my working area, but I haven't had the time to do the reading.

If you know quark, indesign is pretty close to the daily routine. Make picture or text boxes and off you go. Making text snake around your pictures is a lot of fun, tons of variations and choices. If you can get your work done with what you have, I'd stick with that. I'm not a huge fan of relearning such large software packages anymore.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking with Quark, or as the Adobe people call it, QUACK, for as long as I have, I think, has been my problem. I hate version 7 and went back to 6, but time marches on and soon, I won't get support and older versions don't always work so well with new operating systems and the latest computers. I think its time for me to dump Quark. It won't be easy, and I'm sure I will have some time cursing Adobe for a program I don't know how to use, but I think the time has come. Thanks for your input DrBiggles and Michael.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum