Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Caesar's Italian Sandwiches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyRob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Little Caesar's Italian Sandwiches Reply with quote

Little Caesars is obviously known for their pizzas, but I've discovered that their italian sandwiches are actually my favorite item. Unfortunately, in my area, almost all of the Little Caesars have gone away and the few that are left don't carry the sandwiches.

The inside of the sandwiches don't harbor any surprises. As usual for an Italian sandwich in the U.S., you've got some salami, ham, cheese, onions, tomatoes and lettuce. But what really made this sandwich stand out for me was the bread.

From the shape, I felt the bread was clearly made with pizza dough. But the texture was totally unlike a pizza. Soft and velvety and warm. Well, warm if you order it that way - and if you don't, IMHO, you haven't gotten the magic. I imagine the fact that the default cold-sandwich state has prevented them from making this item much more popular. I just gave one of my newly minted clones to my wife and she asked "Now, what are you calling this? So I can order it again...." Well, of course it's the

Little Caesar's Italian Sandwich

Bread:

500g Bread (or unbleached) Flour
10g Olive Oil
340g Warm Water
4g Yeast
?g Salt
Melted Butter

For a mixer with a dough hook, I placed the mixing bowl on my scale and measured in the flour, oil, water and yeast. Starting with the dough hook seemed to prove adequate. After 5 minutes of needing (to let the yeast run away and hide), I added the salt. I measured by eye a few large pinches of kosher salt (sorry, no exact measurement - this was just how it happened). tasting a little piece of dough, I added just a little more. You want to just taste the salt a little bit. Knead another five minutes (10 minutes total).

Cover bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for an hour or until doubled in bulk. Then turn out onto a floured surface, punch down and cut into three equal pieces. Roll out each piece into a 8 inch diameter pizza. Then use a pizza cutter to cut each pizza in half to make half-moon shapes.

Arrange the half-moons on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick oil. Cover with another baking sheet. Let rise about one hour. Preheat oven to 450.

Just before baking, brush the tops with melted butter. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and brush both sides with melted butter. Let cool completely on a rack.

At this point you could bag up the bread an refrigerate for later use. Or continue...

Using a serrated knife, carefully cut into the flat side of the half-moon to make a sort of pita pocket. Line the bottom with provolone or mozzarella, then some thinly sliced salami and then some thinly sliced ham.

Again, at this point you could refrigerate the sandwiches and save for later use. When ready to eat:

Slice a tomato, slice or dice and onion and tear off some lettuce leaves. Wrap a sandwich in a paper towel and microwave 30-45 seconds. You're just trying to warm the sandwich and get the cheese to melt (any more is too much). This microwave step is actually critical. It will make the bread steamy and soft. Remove sandwich, stuff with the veg and enjoy with chips.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the recipe. Years ago I worked at a Little Ceasar's and loved the bread, it was basically a pita pocket made with pizza dough. The bread was brushed with the garlic butter that was also used on the Crazy Bread. I also remember the Greek sandwich but can't remember all of the ingredients....

Will give your post a try and look for that memory...:-)
gkcorns@sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Loved the Little Ceaser's Italian Subs Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for posting this info. People look at me strange when I tell them about this delicious little sub Little Ceaser's used to sell back in the 80's (they don't believe me). You're correct, the bread made that sandwich melt in your mouth. The dressing and ingredients would meld together when ordered hot (the ONLY way to get this sandwich in my opinion). I would usually down 2 of these sandwiches and a soda on my lunch break...absolutely delicious!!!
RayChangTW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Little Caesar's sandwiches Reply with quote

Thank you so much, IndyRob, for starting this thread. I remember Little Caesars sandwiches like it was yesterday. I even made a YouTube video of making one and talking a little bit about them.

My question to all of you is: Did you have any Little Caesars location that you know of that sold two small sandwiches, held in a thick paper holder under the name "Sub Sub"? One location north of my former home (in Newark, OH, Mount Vernon Road) sold "Sub Sub". A buddy and I would go there sometimes. (No, "often" is a better word) and we would share an order of Sub Sub. I don't remember seeing any advertisement for Sub Sub, but that location had it for at least 3 years (1988-1990?), that I can remember. Some locations didn't even have Italian, and if I asked for Sub Sub it seemed they didn't have any idea what I was talking about. My sister worked at a Little Caesars in the early-mid '80s and made the sandwiches. I've asked her to try to refresh her memory of the details, but she's really busy and I'll have to wait for her response.

I don't know if I am allowed to share links to YouTube on this forum, but here is the video I made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6BcHg0Rhk
Moderator, if I am not supposed to do this, please let me know and I won't do it again.

It's nice to see that others remember and love those sandwiches as much as I did (and still do, when I make them myself). Much love, be safe, have a good time! Ray
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...please let me know

you're good to go. original content is fine - it's the spammers that gets whacked (g)

Little Caesars did not appear in my area until well past the '80s - no record of the Sub Sub thing.

Jamie Oliver's pizza dough is my favorite - are you able to get semolina there? I use (up to) 50:50 bread flour / semolina - excellent flavor!
dande18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe , i love Italian food and recipes
sugar_angel123456

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your recipe. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Still makes this delicious bun!!! Reply with quote

There is one Little Caesar that still makes the Deli Italian Sandwich its in Westland, Michigan on Warren Rd 734-421-4100....Still yummy... enjoying this for 30 plus years..
hazelgomez111

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummy!!! Big smile
dinwitty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this post still here, wow, I am vegetarian I had the cheese version, yummy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This delicious ham and cheese sandwich in a pizza bread pocket was made better by a dressing. The best I remember it was made of possibly olive oil with maybe oregano and some other seasonings and had just a bit of sour. It was wonderful. I drove around ten miles round trip once or twice a week at lunch time to pick up this extraordinary sandwich. I would love to have one now.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing about sandwiches - if everything sags including the bread, even if the filling tastes good - it is as bad as it is. So good sandwiches means everything should be great.
Natosha Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for share your delicious recipe.
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question - can we substitute bread with pita? Will it be healthier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum