Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how does one salt nuts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbonefirst

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: how does one salt nuts? Reply with quote

I don't eat a lot of salted nuts, but when I do, I like them...salted. I have tried to add kosher salt or regular salt or French sea salt to bland nuts from a can, but all the salt keeps falling off the nuts, leaving not a trace of salt on the nut! I'd be willing to put them in the oven, whatever, (omg, do I have to grind the salt into a powder, like popcorn salt?) but I would like to make the salt stick to the nuts. Mixed nuts, almonds, any kind of nut. If there is an answer, I'm confident I'll find it here! (p.s. I've been a member here for years, but I moved to Portland (foody town) OR, changed my email address, so I had to re-register. Hello to all old friends)))) Happy to be back! sp
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howdy howdy!

I tried this years and decades back - it is the popcorn salt, or finer, that is needed and then....

as far as I got, I had to (re)toast/roast the nuts with a little bit a oil, making them 'sticky' - then add the salt.

'dry roasted & salted' also exists - I suspect they do a light water spray then salt then dry. never tried that.

if you can find raw ie not yet roasted nuts, that might work better
pbonefirst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: salting canned nuts Reply with quote

Dilbert - Howdy back atcha!)) I tried your method in the oven with the nuts shoved around a very lightly oiled cookie sheet with regular salt - not Kosher, which is bigger flakes - but they may be lighter, not sure - and it was a little disappointing, as the salt did tend to fall off the nuts, not stick to them. I'm sure popcorn salt is the answer, as the salt is ground nearly to a powder, but I have never seen this for sale in normal markets. The only problem I have is the availability of popcorn salt. If you see this late response, where did you buy popcorn salt!? Thanks in advance.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta' get a lottery ticket . . .

last week I was making some popcorn and wanted the fine salt - our supermarket had it right along side the popcorn (not with the baking supplies) but sometime in the last ? years they stopped carrying it.

mail order is one; Walmart lists it as well.

I used a spice grinder to make a small qty. but I do need to stop by WallyWorld and see if they carry it here.

nice to see you!
Billycook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: how to salt nuts Reply with quote

Well, they just put yes some fine salt together with nuts in a bag or mug and shake them, so you have your salted nuts. As for me I prefer salted sunflower seeds. I fry them a little on a pan adding salt , that's great!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum